Tuesday, May 30, 2017

2017 Spring Sephora VIBR Sale Purchases


Post originally published by Jennifer X on Born Jennius, 30 May 2017.


Last year, there were several makeup launches that I definitely didn’t want to miss out on and I also purchased a few things for friends. Therefore, by the end of the year, I qualified for the Sephora VIB Rouge tier for the first time. I don’t plan on making it a second time, at least not anytime soon.

I thought I would make good use of the Rouge status while I have it, except for the complimentary makeovers because I don’t go anywhere and probably won’t have much use for them. The Spring Sale is for 15% off.

Rouge started shopping on the 18th of April, with VIB on the 19th and BI (for 10% off) on the 20th. Rouge and VIB could keep on shopping the sale until the 24th; BI could shop the sale until the 23rd. A lot of numbers, I know.
____________________________


The first items I purchased online because they weren’t available in stores. They were two of the Viseart 12-color eyeshadow palettes in 02 Bohême Dream and 09 Bijoux Royal. I’ve taken note of the favorable reviews of these eyeshadows but what really pushed it over to the “Buy Me (Eventually)” list in my mind was a video that Stephanie Nicole did: [Viseart & Muse Beauty Pro Interview w/ Demo of New Theory Palettes]. To hear about how the company works and how choice the products are among professionals, I was very much intrigued. Eyeshadows are one of my weaknesses when it comes to cosmetics.

Viseart 02 Boheme Dream & 09 Bijoux Royal
The palettes are pricey up front, and so I had originally planned to buy them in the fall, which tends to have better deals. However, Viseart posted in a few Instagram (IG) photos that these two particular palettes (there are 8 others, permanent, I think) are Limited Edition (LE) and will be going into the vault at the end of the year. Also, these two were the only ones that had been on my wishlist for months. I didn’t want to chance them being sold out during the fall deals, so I bought them now. My eyeshadow inventory is starting to be overwhelming for me, so these might be the only two I ever get, but there are others that I might want (much) later.

The Bijoux Royal came with the insert popped up, but I just snapped it in. If I press on it, I can tell that it’s a little loose but I don’t mind it. The shadows came intact, which is the important thing. I didn’t realize the insert was loose until I opened the palette. They’re almost too pretty to touch, but I also can hardly wait to dig into them!
____________________________
Rouge could go in store on the first day of the sale, bring a friend who would also get the 15% whatever their Sephora level, and receive a special tote. I don’t have any friends who would be interested in coming with me for such a thing as far as I know, so I went during lunch to the store in the Ala Moana Center (AMC), mainly for the free tote. I’m running out of the color corrector that I have, so I picked up the Urban Decay Naked Skin Color Correcting Fluid in Peach, and the free tote. [Note, 20 May 2017: it seems that the color corrector that I’m using up is either being discontinued or repackaged, so it might turn out to have been a good idea that I picked up the UD one at this sale].

Urban Decay Naked Skin Color Correcting Fluid in Peach &
Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer in Medium-Light Neutral
I had planned to get at least a drink from Gloria Jean’s, but it’s not there anymore! I’m very certain that I saw it at the AMC last year in the newer section. We used to have one in Pearlridge Center (PRC) years ago and the only thing I would order when I went was their frozen chocolate drink. Maybe I just imagined that they came to the AMC. This has nothing to do with the Sephora Sale, but I wanted to mark it.
____________________________

After work, I went to the store in the Pearlridge Center. I usually don’t care for double-redeeming freebies for anything, though I don’t think Sephora has an official policy about it. To me, it’s like taking advantage of a privilege. However, I did so this time with getting another free tote, this time from the PRC store. Since I’m Rouge status for the first (and likely only) time, I didn’t want to miss out on the tote (why I went at lunch) and wanted to see if the PRC store would still have it in stock if I had only gone after work instead – they did.

I had an idea going in on what I wanted to buy, but when I got there, I couldn’t decide on it. In the end, I bought the Belif True Cream Moisturizing Bomb and a travel size Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer.

Belif True Cream Moisturizing Bomb
I had used up a sample of the Belif True Cream Aqua Bomb earlier this year and liked it. In reviews on YouTube (YT) it seemed like people suggested the Moisturizing Bomb for those with dry skin, which I have. The Aqua Bomb is like a soft gel-like consistency whereas the Moisturizing Bomb is more of the traditional cream as far as I understand. I have two other moisturizers to use first, so I’m going to hold off on using this until probably the late summer when I finish one but I’m looking forward to it.

The UD Concealer was a last-minute decision. Now, the travel-size one is not a deal ($12 for 0.06 fl. oz., at $200/fl. oz.); the full-size is the better value ($28 for 0.16 oz, at $175/fl. oz.)(if I’m doing that math correctly). Another way to look at it (the way I usually think about such things in store) is that it would take 3 travel-size ones for the same fl. oz. as the full-size, but it would cost $36 total, more than the $28 of one full-size (rounded for whole product; technically 2.67 for $32.04). The same would be true if I bought the full-size @15% off; the full-size is a much better deal.

The reason I still bought the travel-size is because the last concealer that I had a few years ago I had tossed; I didn’t use it enough and it went bad. If I remember correctly, I didn’t like using it because it was quite thick. I intended to try another concealer at some point, and thought it would be the UD one, so I decided I would try it at the same time that I try the Color Correcting Fluid. The travel-size is in case I don’t like it or don’t use it often enough. Small price to pay for trying it out this time, in my opinion.

The travel-size only comes in two of the shades currently. I got it in Medium-Light Neutral, which I think is a good match (I swatched the testers in store). If it didn’t come in a good match for me, I would’ve gone for the full-size instead, even though the reasons given.
____________________________
I recently got an email notice about the grand opening of Sephora at the Ka Makana Ali‘i location on the 28th with an opening celebration on the 29th. I might go to it, and if I go, I might pick up another item. I haven’t decided yet, but I don’t think I’ve ever been to a store opening for any brand. [Note, 20 May 2017: I went, so I’ll work on posting about it sometime].

Either way, that is all I bought with the 15% off. All products in this post were purchased and paid for by me. Non-affiliate convenience links:
  • Viseart Eyeshadow Palettes - [Sephora]
  • Belif True Cream Moisturizing Bomb - [Sephora]
  • Urban Decay Naked Skin Color Correcting Fluid - [Sephora]
  • Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Complete Coverage Concealer (full-size) - [Sephora]

Certain items may be available at other retailers; these links are to the retailers that sell these items and where I have shopped.


If you’ve bought something from the Sephora VIB Spring Sale, let me know in a comment below. Otherwise, have a great day and thank you for coming by!

Thank you for reading! You are welcome to leave a comment and/or question(s) in the section below :)

Facebook Profile: Jennifer X | Facebook Page: BornJenniusPage
Bloglovin’: Born Jennius | Pinterest: bornjennius

Instagram: bornjennius | Twitter: bornjennius