Monday, June 27, 2016

Beauty Report: June 2016


Post originally published by Jennifer X on Born Jennius, 27 June 2016.

I… suck at introduction paragraphs to these entries.
____________________________

Face___________
*Nature Republic Sun Gel (SPF 50/ PA+++)
*MAC Prep + Prime Moisture Infusion
MAC Prep + Prime Skin (sample)
Benefit Erase Paste – 2 Medium
*Koh Gen Do Maifanshi Aqua Foundation – 123
*Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer – Light
*Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder – Transparent
Tarte Aqualillies Face Palette (LE) – Park Ave. Princess Bronzer, Captivating      Blush, Champagne Highlight
Teri Miyahira Beauty Dew Drops – Calm
Teri Miyahira Beauty Dew Drops – Joy
Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess Bronzer (sample)

Eyes___________
*NYX Brow Powders – Taupe/ Ash
Maybelline Color Tattoo – Bad to the Bronze
Tarte Aqualillies Face Palette (LE) – Hammock, Bikini, Barefoot, Parasol, Sundeck, Poolside
*Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil Naked 3 Duo – Darkside
NYX Badunkadunk Lush Lashes Mascara – LL02
L’Oreal Voluminous Waterproof Mascara – Black
Benefit They’re Real! Tinted Lash Primer – Mink-Brown

Lips___________
*Too Faced La Matte Color Drenched Lipstick – The New Black 1
NARS Satin Lip Pencil – Rikugien (mini)
*Bite Beauty High Pigment Pencil – Pomegranate (mini)
Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid Lipstick – 30 Orange Shot 1
*MAC Lip Pencil – Cherry
*Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm – Black Tea & Blackberry, Mango & Mandarin (LE)

Scent__________
*Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy/ Viva La Juicy La Fleur Rollerball Duo


*Not pictured
 (LE) Limited Edition
^Discontinued
Bold = not used previous month
1 = Received as personal gift or prize
____________________________


I’m going to talk out of order today and start with the Tarte Aqualillies Face Palette because it’s the main feature that I used all month. I used everything in it – not everything every day, but most of it every day. I used Park Ave Princess bronzer, Captivating blush, and Champagne highlight just as they were intended (these can be found individually in the permanent line); I like all of them. For eyeshadows (limited edition), I most used Hammock along the lash line, in the outer corner, and swept lightly over the crease. On the lid, it was either Bikini, Sundeck, Barefoot, or Poolside. I also used Sundeck to blend out things up to the brow. Sometimes, Parasol or Barefoot went right under the brow. I haven’t been doing the inner corner highlight much for a few months now. The Aqualillies products are made using the Tarte Amazonian Clay formulation which claims to be waterproof and I think the claim is true – my makeup lasted for a full work day and through the sweaty journey home afterwards.



The MAC Prep + Prime Skin base was a free sample with purchase item. I’m not so sure yet if it does anything like help makeup last longer or make my skin have a healthy glow yet. What I can say is that it has some very fine shimmer that must be subtle because I haven’t noticed any extra shine from it on my face, and it goes on nicely. I’ll keep using it and try to figure out if it helps things; I have another sample of it waiting in the wings. After hearing Emily from Beauty Broadcast on YouTube mention the Benefit Erase Paste over months for helping her cover up dark circles and her pregnancy melasma, I finally picked it up for myself in the second shade, Medium. I’m not pregnant, but I do have dark spots from a bad sunburn several years ago. Emily was right – it does make the discoloration less noticeable. You’d have to be right in my face looking for it (please don’t do it) in order to really see the spots. I’ve noticed that when I use the Erase Paste, I can’t use the Tarte Maracuja Concealer* on top of it, or maybe I just don’t know how to do it properly, so mid-month I stopped using the concealer. It’s been hot lately so having less makeup layers on is probably best anyway.



The May 2016 Teri Miyahira Beauty Box included 2 liquid cosmetic products: The Dew Drops in Calm and in Joy. Calm gives a sweet ivory sheen while Joy I’d say is a strawberry red but can be sheered out to a berry. I thought it would be scary to use liquid products but these are not so scary; it takes the tiniest bit and spreads out smoothly. It will take me a little more practice to really be comfortable with them but so far, so good. I even practiced using them on a workday!



Mascaras – I did not like the NYX Badunkadunk Mascara. I don’t know whether they did anything for the look of my lashes because I can’t get over how much it stung my eyes while taking it off. Besides that, it was difficult to get off, so it stung my eyes for longer than I care to overlook for a good formula. Then there’s the brush size – too big for my small eyes. Just no, no, no. Tossing it. Mascaras shouldn’t be passed on. The Benefit They’re Real! Tinted Primer did nothing for my lashes but give a little color. I’ve used it for about 3 months as just a base for the L’Oreal Voluminous Mascara but I see no use for it. I got my use out of it and now tossing it. I’ve used up another of the Voluminous (6 months use) and moving on to a fresh one.



Surprise – I like a liquid lip product! Didn’t think that would really happen. And, it’s orange. Well, a deep orange that leans towards red. Like a red-orange. It’s the Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid Lipstick in 30 Orange Shot. I line my lips first with MAC Cherry Lip Pencil and then fill in with Orange Shot. I dab the first layer into the lips, and then go in with a second layer to deepen it, being careful about not taking it too far in towards the mouth as to get it on the teeth, because once it gets on the teeth, I find it keeps getting on the teeth. I still prefer to have pinkish colors on my face, but I’m okay with the oranges too now. This formula is easy to work with, comfortable to wear, and has beautiful color. I did try the purple one – didn’t like it and passing it on to a friend. I don’t mind purple on the lips but it wasn’t the purple for me.



Progress shots: look at the progress on Bad to the Bronze! Remember when it was halfway done and I was so excited? I remember. I’ve been working on using it up for over a year. That may sound gross but I use a brush and do my best to keep it sanitary; if it changed or irritated, I’d stop using it. I’m also working on the NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Rikugien (ree koo gee en; hard “g”). I don’t think I’ve taken a progress picture of it before so here’s to starting it.



I finished the sample of the Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess Bronzer. It was a nice warm brown with some pink shimmer. It worked well for me but I don’t know if I will purchase the full-size. For now, I have enough of other bronzers to use. I cleaned out the container and started to use it as a palette for the Dew Drops (which are the liquid colors in the picture). 
____________________________

Guess what? I also suck with doing the closing paragraphs of these entries. Go figure.

Thanksforcomingseeyounexttimebye!

(Butifyouhaveaquestionorcommentpleaseleaveitbelowbye!)


Tarte Aqualillies Palette:

Champagne Highlight
Park Ave Princess Bronzer
Captivating Blush

Eyeshadows (LE):
Hammock
Bikini
Barefoot
Parasol
Sundeck
Poolside

Closer look at the mascara brushes:
NYX Badunkadunk
Benefit Tinted Primer
L'Oreal Voluminous Waterproof

L-R:
MAC Prep + Prime Skin
Benefit Erase Paste - 2 Medium
Teri Miyahira Beauty Dew Drop - Calm
Teri Miyahira Beauty Dew Drop - Joy
Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid - 30 Orange Shot

I tried to show the colors concentrated
and then sheered out a bit.

Lips: Maybelline Orange Shot
lined with MAC Cherry Lip Pencil

Lips: Too Faced The New Black

Lips: NARS Rikugien




Thank you for reading! You are welcome to leave a comment and/or question(s) in the section below :)

Facebook Profile: Jennifer X | Facebook Page: BornJenniusPage
Bloglovin’: Born Jennius | Pinterest: bornjennius
Instagram: bornjennius | Twitter: bornjennius


Disclaimer: I am not a professional makeup anything. I am a journeyman makeup enjoyer, hopefully contributing something interesting to my audience. All items purchased by myself unless otherwise noted.


For comparison, my dry-normal skin is a light-medium yellow tone with cool undertones; the foundations that best match me have been: Urban Decay Naked Skin 5.0, MAC Studio Fix C30, Neutrogena Healthy Skin Natural Beige 60, Revlon Colorstay Whipped Medium Beige 250.