Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Beauty Report: May 2016


Post originally published by Jennifer X on Born Jennius, 31 May 2016.

For the month of May, it was mostly about trying out some new-to-me products and doing pretty much the same face every day for work.
____________________________

Face___________
Nature Republic Sun Gel (SPF 50/ PA+++)
MAC Prep + Prime Moisture Infusion
NYX Q10 Renew Skin Elixir 1
Koh Gen Do Maifanshi Aqua Foundation – 123
Maybelline Dream Velvet Soft-Matte Hydrating Foundation – 70 Pure Beige 1
Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer – Light
Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder – Transparent
Teri Miyahira Beauty Powder Blush – Hope (LE)
Teri Miyahira Beauty Powder Bronzer – Chance (LE)
Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess Bronzer (sample)

Eyes___________
NYX Brow Powders – Taupe/ Ash
Maybelline Color Tattoo – Bad to the Bronze
Tarte Poppy Picnic Palette – Barefoot in the Grass, Sweet Tea, Peach Poppy, Picnic Basket 1
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil Naked 3 Duo – Darkside
Lorac Cobra Mascara
L’Oreal Voluminous Waterproof Mascara – Black
Benefit They’re Real! Tinted Lash Primer – Mink-Brown
MAC False Lashes Extreme – Black

Lips___________
Too Faced La Matte Color Drenched Lipstick – The New Black 1
Maybelline Vivids Lipstick – Shocking Coral
L’Oreal Collection Privee – J.Lo (Jennifer’s Nude)
NARS Satin Lip Pencil – Rikugien (mini)
Colourpop Lippiestix – Lumiere
*Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm – Black Tea & Blackberry, Mango & Mandarin (LE)

Scent__________
Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy (deluxe sample)
Tocca Florence (sample)


*Not pictured
 (LE) Limited Edition
^Discontinued
Bold = wasn’t in previous month
1 = Received as personal gift or prize
____________________________

Nature Republic Sun Gel
NYX Q10 Renew Skin Elixir
MAC Prep + Prime Moisture Infusion
Koh Gen Do Maifanshi Aqua Foundation in 123
Maybelline Dream Velvet Matte Foundation in 70 Pure Beige
The NYX Q10 Elixir is nice as a primer. I think it helped my makeup go on more smoothly and possibly last better but I can’t say for sure. It has a light scent that I can’t quite place but it doesn’t linger long. I like it so far. What I am really impressed with is the Maybelline Dream Matte Velvet Foundation. 70 Pure Beige is a good match for me. It’s like a mousse in consistency, smooths out easily, and evens out the look of my skin. It looks like it will wear thickly but it doesn’t at all. It’s so comfortable that I forget that I have it on. Both the NYX Q10 and the Maybelline Dream Matte were from the HeyClairemas Prize.

From left clockwise: Rimmel Stay Matte Powder
Tarte Poppy Picnic Palette
Teri Miyahira Beauty Bronzer in Chance
Teri Miyahira Beauty Blush in Hope
Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess Bronzer sample

The Teri Miyahira Beauty Box products this month included the blush in Hope and bronzer (highlighter/ blush) in Chance. The back label says it’s a bronzer; on me, Chance is a highlighter with light pink shimmer. This was the first time that I used a highlighter consistently and I think I’m getting the hang of it. It can give high shine though if used heavily. Hope also has to be applied lightly as it gives off great color. Lightly, it gives me a very dusty pink flush. I like them both. I am trying to use up a sample of Estee Lauder’s Bronze Goddess. It’s a medium matte red-brown base with some pink shimmer mixed in; the shimmer is subtle on the face. It is pretty, I like it, it gives a natural tan look, but I probably won’t be buying the full-size – I have other bronzers to use, one of which is from a previous TMBeauty Box that is natural, cruelty-free, and vegan.


I tried all of the products in the Tarte Poppy Picnic Palette, but for eyes, I mostly used Sweet Tea on the lid, Picnic Basket to deepen the outer corners, Peach Poppy in the above the crease, and then Barefoot to highlight under the brows – pretty much what I did every day. I lined the bottom lash line with Urban Decay’s Darkside.



I used up the Lorac Cobra Mascara – this I might buy in full-size later on. The formula was okay. It didn’t irritate my eyes and my lashes still felt soft. I liked the brush though. The shape of it allowed me to get to the shorter outer lashes more easily than most other lash bristles. I did not like the MAC mascara. It made my lashes crispy and brittle feeling. The Benefit Lash Primer was okay as a base for the L’Oreal Voluminous.

Top: Too Faced La Matte in The New Black
Maybelline Vivids in Shocking Coral
L'Oreal Collection Privee in J.Lo Jennifer's Nude
Bottom: NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Rikugien
Colourpop Lippiestix in Lumiere
The Too Faced La Matte in The New Black is a beautiful color, but the formula is a little tricky. It’s thick and can cling to any dryness on the lips so exfoliation and balm is a must. While I’m not that crazy about the formula, I’m still going to use this and another one that I have because the colors are pretty and they were also a part of the HeyClairemas prize. Plus, it’ll make me take better care of my lips.

Otherwise, I’m trying to use up the NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Rikugien. It’s a good color for me. I probably won’t buy the full-size because I have other colors and formulas that I like just a bit better. Also, I like that the name is from a garden in Japan, but it rubs me wrong that it gets mispronounced so much. Silly, I know, but that’s it. In case you’re wondering, it’s like ree-koo-gee-en with a hard “g” sound; just take it a syllable at a time and you’ll be fine.


I had wanted to use up a scent sample and chose Tocca Florence, but I might be allergic to one of the ingredients. It’s a dabber sample (not a spray) and so I would get it on my finger and then place it on my wrists. I’ve developed a serious rash and/or eczema attack on the finger that I would use. It could be other things too, but I’m going to lay off of Florence for now and see if the rash clears up. I used about half of it. Other than that, it’s a beautiful floral scent that unfortunately I don’t think matches with my… self-image? I’m still a fan of Tocca fragrances, so if you don’t have such sensitive skin and like florals, try Tocca, but use testers first just in case (that’s with any new fragrance).

Oh, and a note: The Rimmel Stay Matte Powder had shattered and I was done with trying to re-press it again. I just completely crushed it and put it in an old Sei Bella container as a loose powder. It’s still good.

Another note: The deodorant (from April’s Beauty Report) doesn’t smell all that manly, or that womanly. I can’t exactly describe it. I’d say it’s along the lines of Cool Water, either the men’s or the women’s one. It smells good.
____________________________

Wow, having done practically the same face all month long, I didn’t think I’d have much to write. Go figure. I hope it was helpful in some way.

Come on, June, let’s see whatchu got!

 
Left two: Koh Gen Do Maifanshi Aqua Foundation in 123
Right two: Maybelline Dream Velvet Matte Foundation in 70 Pure Beige

Pure Beige looks rather dark, but near the bottom I sheered
it out more and it looks a lot closer to the 123 shade.

I included a swatch of Too Faced The New Black because
I didn't swatch it for the Lipstick Stock post. You can find
the swatches of the other colors here: The Lipstick Enthusiast.
Lorac Cobra Mascara wand.

A close up of the MAC mascara wand. It's like this all around.

The update photo for the Maybelline Color Tattoo in
Bad to the Bronze - almost finished!


Lips: Too Faced The New Black

Lips: NARS Rikugien


Lips: Maybelline Shocking Coral



Thank you for reading! You are welcome to leave a comment and/or question(s) in the section below :)

Facebook Profile: Jennifer X | Facebook Page: BornJenniusPage
Bloglovin’: Born Jennius | Pinterest: bornjennius
Instagram: bornjennius | Twitter: bornjennius


Disclaimer: I am not a professional makeup anything. I am a journeyman makeup enjoyer, hopefully contributing something interesting to my audience. All items purchased by myself unless otherwise noted.

For comparison, my skin is a light-medium yellow tone with cool undertones; the foundations that best match me have been: MAC Studio Fix C30, Neutrogena Healthy Skin Natural Beige 60, Revlon Colorstay Whipped Medium Beige 250.