Friday, April 15, 2016

Healthy Go: Updates


Post originally published by Jennifer X on Born Jennius, 15 April 2016.

Hey! Hi there.

I haven’t addressed or posted an HG entry in… time. I’ve been feeling somewhat ashamed about where I am with this lately, so I needed time to reflect and get myself into a position to assess so that I can carry on. I don’t know if I’m “there” yet but I have started to clear my mind on certain things that I think will head me in a good direction. Or at least, I am ready to share some HG things, starting with a lot of smaller updates.
____________________________


Salads. I have decided that I don’t like the mixed greens that I was getting from the farmer’s market. Whatever those particular greens were, they would get stuck to my mouth and in my teeth, which was uncomfortable. The next time that I go to the market, I’m going to get lettuce and other greens to build my own salad mix.

Salad spinner parts. My last HG post was about the salad spinner that I picked up. It’s going well. I had said that there was a top part that couldn’t be separated and cleaned as I would want to clean it – I was mistaken. I corrected myself in that post already, but here it is again: I was cleaning my room and found the small card that had come with the spinner. It said that the top part could come apart. I wasn’t pulling it off hard enough before because I didn’t want to break it.

Went to town on a lunch break.
Get out! I usually eat lunch at my desk (haven’t been in the lunchroom in months) so that I can study and write. I want to get out of the office for lunch at least once a week because I don’t get as much out of lunchtime studying as I would like. When I’ve worked in offices before, I wasn’t in studies, so I would make it a point to get out of the office for lunch almost every time. Another thing about lunch and this office is that we’re in the city, just outside of downtown, and it’s not exactly “safe” to go around on my own. I mean, I did get punched by a passing homeless person, and inappropriately touched by… some foolish person. I don’t want to let that stop me from exploring the area. It’s good to get out of the office once in a while, to give one’s mind that brief respite so that one can return to work refreshed.


Movements and Comfort. I’m not exercising consistently yet. I thought I would start moving more and more often for now even while I’m down about HG stuff. Even with the little I’ve been doing, I’ve noticed some improvements in things like more comfort in the movements (probably improved techniques too), more “muscle sense”, etc. I’m not exactly sure what has changed to see these improvements, but it’s better than before and it’s better than nothing.

By “muscle sense”, because I didn’t know how to say it, I mean that I feel more happening in my muscles. For instance, I did bicep curls, regular and hammer, a couple weeks ago and a day later, my biceps were feeling it. Before, I would do bicep exercises and not feel anything though I would try to progress (safely). My squats have improved – less pain and more comfortable in movement, getting lower. So I take some encouragement from these small improvements.

Bullet Journaling. I’m trying out bullet journaling and so far, very much enjoying it. I think it’s great for logging in exercises. What is great about the bullet journal for workouts is that one can write as little or as much as one wants. I’ll write the date, the movement/ exercise, reps, any weights used – the basics. I can also write how I feel or note things like the improvements mentioned just above. If I want to fill in a more formal workout worksheet, I can do that while keeping the b-j as quick notes.

I haven’t been writing down everything yet, like I haven’t been writing down how much I walk on the way to and from work, but I’ll get there. Right now, I’m just building up the habit of writing down things in one, easily-accessible, easily-reviewable place.


Diet. I’ve cut back on the sugary extra drinks. It helps when I have my breakfasts prepped, otherwise I’m more likely to get one before work. The last few weeks have been 1 drink (for the week), 1 drink, and 2 drinks. It’s been okay so far. I’m still having treats, but I’m being more mindful of the other things I’ve eaten and whatever movements I’ve done before going ahead and having a treat. I still have a lot of room for improvement in this area, but I’m in the right direction again and it’s been good.

I have not been consistent with prepping my work meals, but this is still rather new to me. Also, I get frustrated because it’s not my kitchen and doesn’t have the space or organization that allows me to just pull things out and have at it like I want to. I keep picturing how I would keep my own kitchen, but then I have to bring myself back to reality and what I do have to work with right now. I don’t get enough support. It’s just frustrating.

Anyway, I am thinking about more of the good stuff whenever I get groceries.


Treats. I’ve noticed that when I choose a high-quality treat, it’s more satisfying and then I eat less of it, if it makes sense. For instance, if I get a slice of cheesecake from a quick store, I will have the whole slice in one go. When I get cheesecake from a place like Otto Cake, it’s so satisfying that I will have 1-2 bites and then stop, having another 1-2 bites the next day and so on until it’s gone.

Of course, I could just have no cheesecake at all. That’s just not where I am at the moment, and I’m not having cheesecake every week.

Candy from Peru - was not going to pass up trying them.
Treats at work have been dangerous because they’re rather frequent. Co-workers, their families, or offices that we work with will bring things in. I’ve cut back on taking any. I’ll have one if it’s something not local or that is not easily obtainable for me (so, no oreos and the like), and celebration foods/ desserts are a case-by-case basis.



Workout Clothing. I tend to wear clothes until they fall apart completely. For a long time, when I didn’t have regular, steady work, my excuse about not exercising was that I didn’t have bottoms to wear for it. Since working, I’ve been slowly refreshing my wardrobe. I got new shorts for exercising and new (and better supporting) sports bras. I’ll be getting more over time, but it’s been a good start and a reason why I have been moving more.

Clothes Fitting. Speaking of clothes, I recently noticed a pair of jeans fitting better, so I must be doing something right. Yay, me! Clothes fitting better is probably my top motivating/ encouraging factor.

Meagan Martin, doing her thing on American Ninja Warrior!
YT/ Bloglovin’/ IG/ Twitter. I’ve subscribed to/ followed a few fitness people and ninjas. Seeing their posts keeps movement on my mind. It’s been another reason why I have started to move more. American Ninja Warriors mostly post their things on IG, which I joined only a few months ago. It can be a confusing process to navigate fitness people, to find the ones whom are encouraging, teaching the right things, and who have the personality that one likes, but I think I’ve found a few good ones.

I just realized that I’m not into seeing a lot of healthy food stuff on IG; I don’t need to see a lot posts of oatmeal, fruits, smoothies, salads, etc. Those end up looking all the same. I should clarify: I don’t like following people who only or mostly post just food. I think seeing the workout posts is what I need on my mind more for now because that’s what I need more help on.

A few Ninjas I like on IG: Jennifer Tavernier (@minneninja), Jared “JJ” Woods (@jjwoods87), Kacy Catanzaro (@kacycatanzaro), Meagan Martin (@meaganmartin89), Joe Moravsky (@ninjaweatherman).
____________________________

I think that is it for the moment. I can’t say how regular HG posts will be in the coming weeks. I’m focusing more on doing the things and getting back into it and less on sharing it here – it’s where I am now but I hope to be more regular with the sharing again at some point.

More pictures:





Uncle Tetsu's Cheesecake - did not pass this up either!


I do share some HG related things on Instagram (@bornjennius) or on this journal (mostly) every Wednesday in The Week’s Peeks posts, so catch me there! Maybe we can encourage each other?

I hope you are well!



Thank you for reading! You are welcome to leave a comment and/or question(s) in the section below :)

Facebook Profile: Jennifer X | Facebook Page: BornJenniusPage
Bloglovin’: Born Jennius | Pinterest: bornjennius
Instagram: bornjennius | Twitter: bornjennius



Disclaimer: I am not a professional health anything. I am a health trekker, updating my audience with the different sights and hopefully encouraging others on their own journeys. I am moving towards a healthier lifestyle in a slow and steady approach.