Monday, February 22, 2016

Scent Stock 2016


Post originally published by Jennifer X on Born Jennius, 22 February, 2016.

Here are the fragrances I currently have and enjoy.

And perhaps a mini-story time.

_____________________________



Sentimental Scent:
Morning Glory by Calgon
“The delicate hush of a perfect morning and soft petals swirling all around you.” 

I wore this one for years, maybe somewhere between 1998 to 2009 – 10+ years?! They have new packaging now. The main scent I wore, my ex-boyfriend recognized it immediately about two years after our breakup. I thought hmmm, maybe I should think about a new scent…. To be clear, I wore it a long time before I met him, so I don’t necessarily associate it with him.

I still like it though. It’s a lighter formula than a traditional perfume though it can be built up stronger. To me, and those who’ve commented, it smells fresh, like one just got out of the shower.

On a rascally note: my friend liked the scent, but his girlfriend of the time hated me – I wasn’t bothered by her, as long as she didn’t do anything directly to me. For his birthday one year, I gave him Morning Glory in candle form. If I remember correctly, he kept it but didn’t light it; I don’t remember if he said whether or not his girlfriend found out who gave it to him or who wore the scent regularly. Yes, I am a jerk who tries to get her friends in trouble.

____________________________


Bigger Beauties:

Chloé by Chloé
Eau de Parfum
“Our signature scent…. Combined with magnolias and generous peonies, it is both honey-like and powdery on the skin. Cheeky, free and sophisticated, it vibrates with a woody tone, a touch of ambergris and a sheen of cedar scent.” – Chloé website | shop Sephora.com

I received this first as a sample and took to it. I picked up the 1.7 fluid ounce size bottle a few years later (using a store gift card). I think it smells classy and timeless, not really words I’d ever associate with myself, but maybe it will fool some people about me!


Roses de Chloé by Chloé
Eau de Toilette
“…begins with a delicious surge of citric bergamot, gradually warmed by a heart of damask rose essence. Magnolia adds modernity while a delicate trail of white musk and amber reflect the signatures of the original Chloé fragrance.” – Chloé website | shop Sephora.com

Never thought I’d enjoy smelling like a rose. Because I liked the original Chloe, I tried this in the store, thinking I wouldn’t really be tempted by it. Wrong move. I like it just as much as the original. I bought the 1.0 fluid ounce size spray bottle about a year later (to decide if I truly liked it enough, also using a store gift card).



Pink Princess by Vera Wang
Eau de Toilette
(Discontinued)

Originally, I had wanted the Princess Night that had come out in 2012 but I waited too long to get it in stores. Pink Princess came out in 2013; I picked it up at a discount/ overstock store about a year after that. It was limited edition, so I’m not sure where one can find it anymore. I think it smells like marshmallows and cotton candy – definitely the sweetest, somewhat powdery scent that I own. I’ve worn it once so far and might or might not wear it more later – to be honest, I bought it more for the bottle design, and because it’s Vera Wang.

____________________________


Medium Melodies:

Lust by Lush Gorilla Perfume
“Unashamedly carnal jasmine. A heady mash-up of rich florals and a warm, woody base.” Jasmine, ylang ylang, rose, vanilla, sandalwood. – Lush website | Shop

I’m not sure I can explain what about this I like so much but I do like it. It is more of a sensual scent.


*Viva La Juicy by Juicy Couture
Eau de Parfum
“Combines delicious wild berries, with creamy vanilla and bright jasmine.” – Juicy Couture website |shop

 To me, this is a warm scent and somewhere on the stronger side than most of the others. I like it, but I like others more. Besides, I have another one in a duo so I’ll still be able to enjoy this a while longer.


Viva La Juicy/ Juicy La Fleur by Juicy Couture
Viva La Juicy: (See above)
Juicy La Fleur: Eau de Toilette “A sheer veil of sparkling mandarin and wild berries, combined with luminous florals of lush honeysuckle, gardenia petals, and soft jasmine. A whisper of creamy gourmand reminiscent of the Classic Viva la Juicy elicits an addiction that envelops the skin.” – Sephora.com | shop

The difference between the two is very slight to me, but I think I like Juicy La Fleur just a touch more. Again, I like others much more, so I probably won’t be repurchasing either one when I finish what I have.


*for her l’absolu by narciso rodriguez
Eau de Parfum
“This intense and enveloping fragrance captures the signature heart of musk in a voluptuous bouquet of jasmine. At the base, chypre patchouli and sandalwoods create an enchanting trail.” Jasmine, musk, amberlyn, sandalwood, patchouli. – Sephora.com | shop

I chose this as a free sample because I had tried the for her EDT and liked that one so much. I’ll have to see again if I prefer one over the other or both equally. I’d say it’s in the same category as Lust, a sensuous floral scent; they both feature notes of jasmine and sandalwood.


*Chloé by Chloé
(See above)

I keep this one in my bag. I’ll probably start using it up soon, because I’ve had it a long time already, and replace it with a different sample.

____________________________


Sweet Samples:


*Florence by Tocca (x2)
Eau de Parfum
Top Notes: Italian Bergamot, Grapefruit Leaves, Green Pear, Apple
Middle Notes: Ivory Gardenia, Crushed Violet Petals, Jasmine, Tuberose, Blue Iris
Bottom Notes: Blonde Wood, White Musk – Tocca website | shop

This is probably the second sweetest scent that I have but this one is not so powdery as Pink Princess – it’s more fruit sweet at first. I really like it but I keep to small samples of it because someone in my family has a reaction to tuberose and I don’t want to chance it.


*Cleopatra by Tocca
Eau de Parfum
Top Notes: Bitter Grapefruit, Lush Greens, Cassis Bud
Middle Notes: White Jasmine, Peach Nectar, Tuberose
Bottom Notes: Warm Patchouli, Golden Amber, Rich Vanilla Musk – Tocca website | shop

I’m starting to think that I will like most Tocca fragrances. Again, this has tuberose so I don’t wear it much. This is more like for her than it is Florence – less fruit, more musk and amber. I think of it as a modern fragrance.

I’ve been wearing Cleopatra lately and caught myself constantly sniffing my wrist because it smells so good. I can smell it on me at the end of the day so I’d say it’s one of the longer-lasting ones that I have, or maybe my nose just doesn’t get used to it as easily.



*Roses de Chloé by Chloé
(see above)


for her by narciso rodriguez
Eau de Toilette
“Musk, the heart of the scent, is refined by a synthesis of floral notes and hints of soft amber.” – narcisorodriguez website | shop

This came in a Sephora Favorites set of sample fragrances – try out the samples, redeem the included certificate for a full-size of one of the samples (full-sizes may differ). I turned in the certificate for Chloé because I already knew I wanted that one, and it was cheaper than straight buying the bottle on its own. However, out of that set, this came a close second. I’m waiting to finish a few other travel/ sample scents before picking this up.

At first, I didn’t like it. Most of it had leaked out into the box the samples came in, and the scent was not appealing to me. I thought I’d still try what’s left of it on me anyway, and it was different on my skin. Having it diffused by spray probably helps, whereas it was quite concentrated in the box (and maybe a little mixed with any of the other samples that might have also leaked some).

I find it to be a modern, sensual scent. I know, I haven’t been that great at describing the scents and why exactly I like them.



Mandarine Glaciale by Atelier Cologne
Top notes: mandarin from Calabria, lemon from Sicily, bergamot from Calabria
Heart notes: ginger from China, jasmine from Egypt, petitgrain from Paraguay
Base notes: heart of vetiver from Haiti, oakmoss from Slovenia, white amber 


Each Atelier Cologne sample comes with its particular postcard. I was intrigued enough by the sample to hold on to it for now; I don’t have much to say about it yet. I tend to like citrus scents in general.
____________________________


Charming Colognes:

*Gentlemen Only by Givenchy
Eau de Toilette
“Modern, elegant woody neo-aromatic Eau de Toilette infused with rich green, spice and wood notes that exudes an unsettling sensuality.” – Givenchy Beauty website | shop Sephora.com

Top: Green Mandarin, Pink Pepper, Nutmeg, Birchleaf
Heart: Cedar Wood, Heart of Patchouli, Vetiver
Base: Skin Accord

None of the free sample choices were appealing to me, so yes, I chose a cologne. I had smelled this before from a magazine ad. I am even less helpful in talking about cologne. Will I actually wear this myself? Maybe. For now, I sometimes use it to scent my closet.


*Uomo by Valentino
Eau de Toilette
“Uomo is enveloped by the limpid elegance of zesty bergamot. Barely touched by myrtle, it opens with racy notes of coffee and the shimmering tones of gianduja cream. It is retained by an enveloping musky hint of white leather that reveals the majesty of cedar.” 

Another time that none of the other free sample choices appealed to me, although, this time I didn’t know this was a cologne for men. I suspected, but didn’t look too much into it. I can detect the more creaminess to Uomo. I might actually wear this myself.


*Invictus by Paco Rabanne
Eau de Toilette
“A thrill of pure freshness top note face to the sensuality of a guaiac wood base note.” Notes: Patchouli, Notes of ambergris, Grapefruit peel, Guaiac wood, Notes of the sea, Bay leaves. 

This isn’t in the picture because I thought I was going to give it away. I couldn’t remember if I liked it or not, and that was because – guess what? – I hadn’t tried it. I tried it and I like it. It is quite a strong and manly scent though. It fills the air around me.
____________________________

With flash.

*Received as a free sample with purchase.

Going by the repeating notes that seem to weave through the scents, I would say that I prefer fragrances which contain jasmine, cedar, amber, sandalwood, and something citrus like bergamot or grapefruit. Vanilla is also in most of them, but I’m not a fan of the vanilla scent on its own and it tends to be in a lot of scents. I don’t know that I’d be able to pick out the notes individually.

I didn’t mean to alliterate the categories. Once I came to “Bigger Beauties,” I figured I’d carry on with it.
Without flash.
Their full-time residence is in the back of a cube of my closet that gets quite enough shade most of the time. I have had perfumes for years and not one has gone bad or weak on me. The samples and travel sizes are in a blue tea cup. The part-time residence is on my desk (so I’ll remember to use something) or in my purse.

I don’t know which one I would say is my current “signature scent” or which ones would be my top 3. Except for the 2 or 3 that I haven’t tried extensively yet, I really enjoy all of them – some more than others, sure, but all ones that I would reach for to wear.



  • Do you have a signature scent?


Links provided for references and convenience. I only provided the brand’s websites and/ or the shop websites from which I have purchased and/ or received a free sample of the items myself (CVS, Sephora, Nordstrom, Lush). All products were purchased by me or received as a free sample with purchase. I do not receive personal benefits from anyone shopping from any of the product/ shop links provided.



Thank you for reading! You are welcome to leave a comment and/or question(s) in the section below :)

Facebook Profile: Jennifer X | Facebook Page: BornJenniusPage
Bloglovin’: Born Jennius | Pinterest: bornjennius
Instagram: bornjennius | Twitter: bornjennius