Monday, February 1, 2016

Beauty Report: January 2016


Post originally published by Jennifer X on Born Jennius, 1 February 2016.

Hello and welcome to the Beauty Report for January 2016. In case one is unfamiliar, the BR posts are where I share what I have been using lately for makeup looks and such for each month. These posts used to be more varied before I started a more regular job, but I thought they might have some interest yet – one never knows when the more adventurous side may come out to play!

Face products
Lower right: Colourpop Super Shock Cheek in Cruel Intentions
I don’t point out each and every item – that would take a long time and wouldn’t be that interesting, especially from month to month. Mostly I highlight things that I thought I should share, things I’m using up or have used up, and things I’m enjoying. Questions on anything mentioned or not talked about are welcome.
____________________________

Left: Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles in Brightener
Right: Urban Decay Naked Skin Liquid Makeup in 5.0

Face:
Neutrogena Pure & Free Liquid Sunscreen SPF 50
MAC Prep + Prime Moisture Infusion
Urban Decay Naked Skin Liquid Makeup – 5.0
Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer – Light
Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles – Brightener
Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder – Transparent
Colourpop Super Shock Cheek – Cruel Intentions (LE)

Eyes:
NYX Brow Powders – Taupe/ Ash
Maybelline Color Tattoo – Bad to the Bronze
MAC Eyeshadow(s) – Ricepaper, Samoa Silk, Satin Taupe
Makeup Geek Eyeshadow(s) – Moondust, Cinderella
Sei Bella Eyeshadow(s) – Fiji, Moss
*Make Up For Ever Smoky Extravagant Mascara
Lorac Cobra Mascara
L’Oreal Voluminous Waterproof Mascara – Black

Lips
Maybelline Color Whisper – Cherry On Top (Discontinued)
Bite Beauty High Pigment Lip Pencil – Sable (LE, half-size)
Make Up For Ever Satin Lip Pencil – Rikugien (half-size)
Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment – Rose
Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm – Black Tea & Blackberry

Scent:
Marc Jacobs Honey
Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy (deluxe sample)


*Not pictured.
____________________________
Left: Neutrogena Pure & Free Liquid Sunscreen
Right: MAC Prep + Prime Moisture Infusion
Before, I haven’t mentioned the things I use on my face before the makeup. I wanted to show the sunscreen that I’ve been using for the last year and more, the Neutrogena Pure & Free Liquid Sunscreen. This was my second bottle of it and I think it works very well for every day as well as for under makeup. I don’t find it changing the way the makeup wears on my skin. I also don’t feel the sunscreen, but I don’t get burned either. I’m almost done with this one, and then I’ll be trying out a different brand that had been gifted to me.

I’ve been using the Colourpop Super Shock Cheek in Cruel Intentions for the last 3 or 4 months, so I think I shall be giving it a rest for February. The formula is like a moist clay, and so I’ve been using it a lot because it could get dried out. The color, described as a “warm rose,” is good; it was a part of a limited edition collection from last year but I’m not knowledgeable enough about blushes to suggest a similar one – my apologies.

Left: various eyeshadows and brow powders in small Z-palette
Right: Sei Bella eyeshadows in Fiji and Moss
Bottom: Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze
Look at the progress on the Color Tattoo! I’m still working on that Bad to the Bronze. I have the product all pushed into one side, chipping it away slowly but surely. I’d say I have 20% left. I’ve been using it steadily for… so long that I kind of want to give it a break also, but I also don’t want to because it’s getting close to the end and I just want to get it done. We’ll see.

Makeup Geek eyeshadow in Moondust
I hit the tiniest bit of pan on Makeup Geek’s Moondust. It’s so satisfying because this is one of my favorite eyeshadows, and so soon it shall be showing my favor. I’m going to work on getting more pan to show, and then I’ll give it a rest so that I might get use out of something else. With Moondust, I’ve been using Ricepaper, Cinderella, and Samoa Silk, mainly. I dipped into Fiji and Moss on a couple of days.

Left: Lorac Cobra mascara
Right: L'Oreal Voluminous Waterproof mascara 
I used up the Make Up For Ever Smoky Extravagant Mascara sample – it was okay. The formula was not bad, not great, but my issue with it had more to do with the brush. It started thin at the tip and then quickly broadened, making it difficult to navigate my short lashes on my small eyes. I’m now trying out a sample of the Lorac Cobra Mascara and will let you know how that goes. I liked the waterproof-ness of the L’Oreal Voluminous, so I bought another tube of it since using up the first one, though this one is in Black instead of Brown Black.

Left: Maybelline Color Whisper in Cherry On Top
Right: Bite Beauty High Pigment Lip Pencil in Sable
Bottom: NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Rikugien
 For lips, I’m trying to use up the… I’m just trying to use up stuff! For January, I focused on the Color Whisper in Cherry On Top and Bite Beauty’s Sable, while testing out Rikugien from NARS. Cherry On Top will take time, but Sable has about a quarter-inch left so it should get used up within the next two months.

Left: Fresh Sugar Rose Lip Balm
Right: Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm Black Tea & Blackberry

Left: Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy
Right: Marc Jacobs Honey
 I can’t believe I’m almost done with Honey. It’s an okay scent for me, but I’m glad to be moving on to others that I enjoy more. I was so glad to be close to finishing it that I almost bought another rollerball scent in congratulations, then remembered how many scent samples I have to use! Reminder to self: use up a couple of small samples and another travel size, then you can buy another travel scent.






Thank you for reading! You are welcome to leave a comment and/or question(s) in the section below :)

Disclaimer: I am not a professional makeup anything. I am a journeyman makeup enjoyer, hopefully contributing something interesting to my audience. All items purchased by myself unless otherwise noted.

For comparison, my skin is a light-medium yellow tone with cool undertones; the foundations that best match me have been: MAC Studio Fix C30, Neutrogena Healthy Skin Natural Beige 60, Revlon Colorstay Whipped Medium Beige 250.

Facebook Profile: Jennifer X | Facebook Page: BornJenniusPage
Bloglovin’: Born Jennius | Pinterest: bornjennius
Instagram: bornjennius | Twitter: bornjennius