Monday, October 19, 2015

Mane-tenance



Post originally published by Jennifer X on Who I Am, October 19th, 2015.


I was going to have that be “Mane Tenets,” but wasn’t sure if that was going to translate well enough.

The “tenets” that I keep with for my hair, for the most part:
  • I will get a haircut at least once a year.
  • I will do my best to protect the health of my hair in the between haircuts time.
  • I like to keep length in the front; the backside doesn’t matter so much.
  • I will not panic if the stylist cuts my hair shorter than I would like.


That’s about it. I don’t fuss with my hair much. I just try to look “presentable.” I let someone cut it into a short bob before and was confused when people called me “brave” for it.

I have been getting my hair cut by the future professionals at the Paul Mitchell – The School in Kaimuki. You get your haircut by a student under the supervision of a “mentor” for cheaper than salon prices; they offer other services as well, like color, nail, or skin services.

Things to note:
  • The service may take longer than usual, because the mentor oversees/ signs off on things and sometimes intercedes to teach the future professional.
  • For as long as the future professional is there, one can request the same FP if one was pleased with them.
  • I try to listen in on what the mentor instructs the FP and pay attention to what the FP is doing so that I might do it myself later.


I’ve had good to really good service from them. Just once, I was concerned because it seemed like the FP was nervous, which puts me on alert, but it didn’t look terrible in the end because again, they are supervised, and again, I don’t fuss much about my hair.

I try to get my hair cut at least once a year. It tends to happen around my birthday or Christmas/ New Year’s. My hair was getting to be the length where I get very lazy and annoyed, putting it up in a true messy bun all the time. Cue mane-tenance.

Messy bun in back.
Before.

Kim W. was the FP this time. She was cool. I like it when they really enjoy what they do, anyone, any profession. I only specified the length in front, suggested shorter in back, and she came up with a one-length long bob – I think that’s what she called it.


 
After.

Trying to show the diagonal.


It turned out great. It’s similar to something I had done before, but different enough that I’m interested in seeing how it goes with growing out and trying to keep it tame.

One of these days, I’m going to have a side shaved, in an angle sweep to the back, probably when shaving the sides is no longer cool, because I’m respectful enough to keep it cool for others. I’m also thinking of a bright blue under-layer.

So if you’ve got the time (late afternoon is better) and like a discounted hair service, check out PaulMitchell – The School in Kaimuki. If you’re still hesitant, check out their Instagram – pmtshonolulu to see some of the possibilities.

Happy mane-tenance-ing!




Thank you for reading! You are welcome to leave a comment and/or question(s) in the section below :)






Doesn't look all that different
from the front when I straighten it,
but the difference is there.