Saturday, August 8, 2015

Update: Not-Banking, Internship, Bible Read, and A/C (+ Pictures)


Post originally published by Jennifer X on Who I Am, August 8th, 2015.

This week has been a lot of weird things and a lot of expectations not panning out. They were mostly small, not crucial in the long run kind of things.

Like how I meant to go to the bank earlier this week and it didn’t happen until today. I could bank in town on my lunch break, but I covet my lunch break to take a breather and refresh my mind and body; plus, I don’t like to do money stuff in town, walking around on my own, just in case because one never knows who they might encounter (like that toucher, read here). I was able to go to jobsites and meetings, which I enjoyed, yet even more I wanted my lunch hour when I got back to the office those days.  I get to work early, so my regular lunch time is a good time for a break and get me through the rest of the day well.


Banking didn’t happen on Monday or Wednesday. I thought, okay, I can wait for Friday to bank – I’ll meet Mom after work and go home with her, the banks stay open a few hours later, I’ll bank then. Friday came and Mom lets me know that we’ll be taking someone home. Then an office meeting came up for the hour when I usually leave. I thought, okay, I’ll scrap banking, go to the office meeting, and still meet Mom in time to pick up her guest and take her home. The meeting went quick. I met up with Mom, only she still had some things to take care of, so I waited in the car and took a nap. About an hour later, Mom comes to the car and we head home. She said that her guest was able to go home earlier with someone else. Sigh, okay, I could have taken care of my banking after all.

Even today. Last night, Mom gave me the impression that she would be needing the car all day today. Dad said he had to go in for work (sometimes he needs to go in on off-days). I got up early. Dad let me know when he would need to leave for work. I took care of banking and a few other errands. It was fine, however, Mom didn’t leave the house for her things until late afternoon. It just means that I didn’t have to stress so much about getting back in time for them to have the cars. I could have taken care of more things. I could have gone to the gym (though I’m working out at home today as had been planned).

I thought I would try a few different things to work in some gym time this week. That didn’t happen at all. I thought Wednesday night would be a good time because I can usually get the car. I brought my shoes home from work, because currently I only have one pair of good sneakers for workouts and job site visits. Monday I thought I would have the car also, but I don’t remember what happened on Monday that I ended up not going. Tuesday night, Dad tells me that he’ll be at my bro’s and Mom had a dinner the next night, so I’ll be on my own. For me, that meant I had no car. I could take the bus to the gym, but that would take more time and coordination, I’d be travelling alone at night, and it didn’t leave me much time to get anything else done at home, which I needed to get done.

Again, not crucial things this week. Every so often, it will be a more crucial thing. I got other stuff done. I tend to be flexible in my planning because I know that things will sometimes interfere or that I am dependent upon others for certain obligations, the cars, and stuff, but putting things off and off wears on me a little. I’m putting more thought energy into the planning and reminding myself that seemed to all go to waste. I’m fine, it was just one of those weeks.
____________________________

Internship:
Was it this week or the one before? I went to a job site to assist and I ran into a classmate. She looks like she hasn’t aged a bit. I also went to three other sites recently. One was in currently under construction. I enjoy getting to walk around and see a project going up.

For the four visits, I was able to observe different things about projects. Two of the visits were for things like taking measurements, verifying things, taking pictures. After all the notes, I went back to the office to update drawings of existing conditions. One visit, the construction one, was for pictures to document progress. The other one was a pre-bid meeting and I got to see what goes on at one of those. The weird thing with that meeting was that one of the contractor’s representatives reminded me so much of someone I know that I was wondering if my only-child friend had a brother after all, because that’s where my mind goes.

Anyway, except for missing a save on a file (which I promptly and quickly remedied), I haven’t messed up anything major, as far as I know. I heard secondhand that I did a good job on something, which is good to know – it just leaves me wondering which thing it was and what I did, haha. Lunch and Learn sessions have been interesting; I learned about a recent ceiling product that sounds great. I still ought to learn Revit soon, at least, so that I can be of more service. Otherwise, I think things are still going well?



Well, I don’t really want to go back to school, but I should. I really just want to keep working – it’s what I’ve wanted to do for how many years. Sigh. It’s been a long road and more to come.
____________________________

Bible Read:
So, I haven’t done a devotional this year yet.

I was late in finishing the 6-month full-Bible reading plan, yet, I finished. Now I’m reading through the Old Testament wisdom books (Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Song of Solomon). The duration is supposed to be 10 weeks, I’m already behind, but I’m trying to take it in more, to not rush through the reading just to get it done. I’m not concerned about the time.

One of the passages that I highlighted comes from Job 40: 6-14;
[6] Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said:

[7] “Now prepare yourself like a man;
I will question you, and you shall answer me:

[8] “Would you indeed annul my judgment?
Would you condemn Me that you may be justified?

[9] Have you an arm like God?
Or can you thunder with a voice like His?

[10] Then adorn yourself with majesty and splendor,
And array yourself with glory and beauty.

[11] Disperse the rage of your wrath;
Look on everyone who is proud, and humble him.

[12] Look on everyone who is proud, and bring him low;
Tread down the wicked in their place.

[13] Hide them in the dust together,
Bind their faces in hidden darkness.

[14] Then I will also confess to you
That your own right hand can save you.”

I could use a good study commentary thing because it’s all beyond me! I have an idea of what this passage is saying, but I’m not sure. I think it has something to do with how we want to be our own “god”, to justify the things we want and do, to determine what we good we think we deserve, and pass judgement on others. And the thing is, I’m not God, and I’m pretty sure neither are you. Bummer.

I’ve got more reading and understanding to do.
____________________________

I finally got a new A/C!

It’s been a brutal summer, even for here in “paradise”. The old A/C gave up. The computer was angry. The cats… the cats didn’t care but they’re okay. I came home to lie on sheets that felt like they were freshly ironed. My glass cup felt like I had hot tea in it, which I didn’t.

I try not to openly complain about the weather though.

Thank goodness I had the office to go to for relief.



Thank goodness for the new A/C.
____________________________

So much more I could say. There’s a thing about almonds, meal planning, budgeting, shoes, and more. Hopefully I’ll get to some of it soon. I have things written but a lot of photos to edit still.

I hope you’re well in spite of the wild heat and other weather events of late.




My friend came back!

I'm still being initiated.

Going well so far, it seems....
I think she's related to MegaMouth.

Coming to work with me? :D

Trying out a new photography technique?

Rail going up.

Obligatory creeper in the dark picture.

Leave me alone, I'm doing real work :D

Towering.

More from the new technique.

Are you dizzy yet?

Finally got to test the car (not mine). #newcarsmell

She's inspecting the mess I made.