Tuesday, August 11, 2015

July 2015 Beauty… Stuff


Post originally published by Jennifer X on Who I Am, August 11th, 2015.

Sometimes, the clever/ fun title just doesn’t show up.

One thing I’ve noticed lately is that I have my morning makeup routine down rather well at this point. I am usually very slow in the morning – slow to wake up, slow to think, slow to do anything. If I wake up a few minutes late, slow to get out of bed, then I am pretty certain I will be late or have to skip steps or rush out the door, which, I hate rushing out the door.

Lately though, I have been a little slow to get out of bed and yet I still get out the door, not rushing much, in time to catch the early bus… on most days. I think I’ve got the makeup application on a rhythm, and even streamlined a few things.

I amaze myself.

It really helps to have a few of the basics set aside together so that I don’t have to think much about which products I should use. I still operate somewhat with “the usual suspects/ continuous use products” and “the first team/ featured products” mindset. So…

____________________________


July’s Usual Suspects:
The progress on items are roughly (% used up):
     (100%)   Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup – Natural Beige
     (55%)   Rimmel Stay Matte Powder – Transparent
     (20%)  Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer – Light
     (62%)   Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles – Brightener
     (20%)   NYX Eyebrow Cake Powder – Taupe/ Ash
     (Who knows??)             Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara (sample)


I have used up the Neutrogena Healthy Skin foundation. I think it worked very well in this crazy summer heat. I will likely repurchase it in the future as it remains a formula that I like with a near perfect color match (60- Natural Beige), but I am trying out a new-to-me foundation in the Urban Decay Naked Skin (5.0). I am also using the Maybelline Dream Wonder Fluid-Touch Foundation which is similar to the Naked Skin; mostly, I carry this in my bag so that I can touch up on the go if necessary.



In June, I used up a concealer; I have been using the Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer in its place. I can’t say right now if I like it over the previous one – they are different consistencies, slightly different shades, apply differently, and yet they seem to provide the same coverage and wear for me. The Tarte one costs more, but I do like the squeeze tube packaging a little more than the stick form of the previous one. It may come down to price one day, but this one is going to last me a long time so I don’t have to decide that yet.

Also in June, I used up a mascara – a sample of Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara has taken that spot. So far, I don’t think I like it as much as the previous mascara. I don’t see much difference to my lashes when I use the Too Faced one. It’s just okay.



The Rimmel Stay Matte Powder and NYX Eyebrow Cake Powder are still going strong. The Maybelline Eraser Dark Circles Brightener is a mess inside the bottle, yet still moving along. It’s the kind of container that screws down to pump the product up through the top; it’s supposed to click as one turns the screw but I’ve been having problems with it lately, and so there is a lot of product above the lowering platform. It’ll be okay though, because I figured out that when the platform is all the way at the bottom later on, I can still unscrew the top mechanism and use a brush to get to the extra product left inside.





July’s First Team:
For lips, I mostly used: MAC’s Ravishing, Revlon’s Peach Parfait Lip Butter, L’Oreal Infallible in Tender Berry, Milani’s Nude Crème (not pictured), and Urban Decay’s Fiend – mostly light and/ or natural shades. For more color, I wore Red Revolution and Shocking Coral, both from Maybelline, both worn once or twice (but not at the same time). I don’t think I used anything else.


The eye looks have been easy. I focused mainly on using the Urban Decay Naked Palette, trying out different combinations than I usually do, in different ways too. I think I’m close to hitting pan on Naked. I tried to stay away from Sidecar, one of my favorites of the palette, just so I would use the other colors more. I barely used Creep, and I don’t think I used Darkhorse at all. Otherwise, I made good use of the palette and have liked it more than I did before as I became more comfortable using it. I’m still not crazy about 3 of the shades, but I don’t mind them so much anymore.


Once a week, usually Fridays, I tried to do something outside of the Naked palette – I remembered to do it twice. Once, I did a turquoise look, and the other time I did a neutral eye, similar to the Naked looks, but with eyeshadows that I adore. I layered all of the eye looks over the Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze (70%); in the picture, it doesn’t look like I’ve made progress because I worked the top of it more than the side, but progress has been made.


NYX’s Peach was the only blush and Estee Lauder’s Bronze Goddess was the only bronzer I went to in July. I cannot tell at all that I’ve used Peach; hitting pan is going to take forever, maybe literally so. Okay, probably not literally “forever” but we’ll just see. Bronze Goddess will most definitely not last forever though.


The scent combination of choice has been Be Delicious Fresh Blossom by DKNY layered over Marc Jacob’s Honey. I really like the results. I will roll on Honey first, as it tends to be in my purse or at my desk. Then before I dress, I will spray on Fresh Blossom. I used Chloe once, and didn’t think of using anything but the Honey/ Fresh Blossom combination elsewise; the combo isn’t my favorite scent still, but it’s doing well for me.
____________________________

I’m sure this is all fascinating… while I haven’t been showing these products on my face in a Face File post. I haven’t figured out a way to fit them in yet. I don’t think I took one face picture in July. August is going to be crazy for me. I don’t know when I’ll be able to get back into the makeup look posts again.

Thank you for checking in and I hope you have a good day!



Thank you for reading! You are welcome to leave a comment and/or question(s) in the section below :)


Disclaimer: I am not a professional makeup anything. I am a journeyman makeup enjoyer, hopefully contributing something interesting to my audience. All items purchased by myself unless otherwise noted.


For comparison, my skin is a medium yellow tone with cool undertones; the foundations that best match me have been: MAC Studio Fix C30, Neutrogena Healthy Skin Natural Beige 60, Urban Decay Naked Skin 5.0.