Friday, August 21, 2015

Healthy Go: Goodbye, Almonds



Post originally published by Jennifer X on Who I Am, August 21st, 2015.

Hi.

I’ve definitely gained inches, which means I’ve probably gained weight too. I think I went a little crazy once I could afford to buy my own food. I was mostly buying my lunches during the first month of working. Adjusting to the full schedule again left me tired a lot, so not as much exercising.

Although, I did walk more; it comes with taking the bus most places. About twice a week, I’ve walked a few extra lengths than the minimal distance.

The second month of working, I pretty much nailed bringing lunches from home. I think I bought my lunch twice. It wasn’t all leftovers either; I actually prepared a lot of my lunches early. I cooked salmon, chicken, mashed potatoes, eggplant parmesan, made sandwiches, etc.

The third month, this month, I’m working on also bringing breakfast from home. So far, that hasn’t gone so well. Apparently, oatmeal can be microwaved. I haven’t done well with it, and I refuse to buy the pre-individually-packed oatmeal made to be microwaved when I have so much oatmeal already. I don’t really like oatmeal on its own but I credit an online pal, Fragile, with encouraging me to eat more oatmeal – I just have to add something to it. This week, I’m going to prepare eggs and maybe Vienna sausages or something and see how that goes.

What has really inspired and helped me with the prepared meals was watching this video by Drea Beauty – How To Meal Prep | Drea Beauty:



I’ve read articles about meal prepping, seen grocery lists and such, but somehow, having the lists with seeing the meals being prepped and put together made it click for me. I’m just figuring out how to make it work for me and what I like to eat but so far, so good.

Prepared meals and fixings.
 Currently, I sort of cook a batch of stuff and put them into containers, like I’ll have one container with mashed potatoes and another for salmon. Sometimes I separate the food out into containers like Drea does, but I have more large containers than small ones right now. The night before, I’ll put together a lunch from the different large containers.

I’m trying to snack less, especially at work. The new jump rope I had gotten is too long for me and awkward to adjust (even though it says it’s adjustable) and so I will pass that on to someone else and look for one that is the right length for me.
____________________________

Dude. My sneakers are goners.

I had a pair of New Balance for workouts and a pair of Puma for casual wear, both for a decade each, at least. The glue came off the bottoms. The NB had been clawed up by Mega a few years ago.

I finally picked up a pair of Skechers. For now, they are mostly for work, in case I need to visit a job site or something. I need to get arch supports for them though (one thing I miss about the NB – it had good arch supports for my feet).

I plan on getting another pair for workouts so that I can leave the Skechers at work. If I can’t get another NB, I’m thinking of trying Asics. I’m kind of excited because shoes are made so much lighter now days so that’ll be interesting, just for the carrying-around factor alone (because I walk in slippers).

Also about shoes, I got new heels. I should be doing a separate post to show those off, but for HG matters, I had a snag with the heels. I wore one at work and everything was okay. I was pleasantly surprised with just how comfortable they were. They weren’t completely pain free – I have wide feet and the shoes are medium width. However, I only thought of switching out of them when it was time to make my way home.

Swollen: such smooth skin! But oh so swollen.
 The snag was that my feet swelled up! I think the heels were only a part of the equation, with my bad leg, wide feet, extra weight, etc., being other probable factors. They didn’t go back to normal for a whole week. Maybe my feet freaked out because they’re used to being tortured more. I’ll just have to watch out for the swelling.
____________________________

Jamba Juice: I really liked the sliced almonds in oatmeal. :(

Goodbye, Almonds
Almonds and I are parting ways. It’s been great, we’ll keep in touch here and there, but it’s basically over between us.

I thought I would be good and have almonds as a healthy snack. I thought it’d be perfect for taking to work. It was, until I had too much of a good thing – yes, it is possible.

So, I felt nauseated one day. I’ve been nauseated every so often, but this was different, odd. It was accompanied by lethargy (I think) and a faint headache-like… sensation? The first time I had this, I took an Advil, didn’t eat much for lunch, and then later was feeling okay again. The second time, it lasted longer. The third time came sooner and again, longer.

I remembered one day having more than the suggested one ounce a day of almonds. I don’t remember why. Maybe I skipped breakfast? That stood out as the thing that was most different about what I had been eating or doing, so I looked up side effects of too many almonds. It seemed to fit, so I thought I would cut back on almonds, like maybe twice a week and sticking to the recommended one ounce.

I think it was the next day, I watched this video by Carli Bybel – Current Skin Care Favorites +Dealing w/ ECZEMA | & VLOG:



I also have eczema. Lately, my scalp had flared up the worst ever (I had a scalp flare up once before) and then my neck flared up with force. The itching and flakiness was crazy. With the scalp situation, my hair has been dry and dandruff-like huge flakes ever present. So I decided to see if there’s any change in my skin if I cut out almonds all together. 

Jamba Juice: swapped out the almonds for bananas.
I have been almond-free for just two weeks (four by the time this posts). My neck cleared up within a couple of days – it is back to the normal slight dryness. The nausea/ lethargy lightened up and left in about five days. The scalp crazy itching has eased up but is still present. I still look like I have crazy dandruff.

I can’t be sure, but the previous scalp flare up, I think I was eating almonds then, and maybe I had stopped almonds and the scalp cleared up. Maybe.

I always thought the flare ups were from any number of things like stress, hormones, dairy, sugar, extra pounds, not enough water, hair products, laundry detergent, etc. It could still be some of those as well. I’m fairly certain that at least one of the hair products is another culprit, I have suspicions on which, but I am still testing it out.

I’m just glad that my skin is clearing up for the most part. I’m thinking an allergy test might be a good idea for me. I should look into it.

I’m not saying that everyone ought to quit almonds. Almonds still make a healthy snack, if you don’t have a sensitivity to it in some way.
____________________________

There we have it. I really ought to be more consistent with these HG posts again. I think I’m more consistent with mindful eating and exercising when I am considering the writing of the posts.

I hope that you have been well.


Thank you for reading! You are welcome to leave a comment and/or question(s) in the section below :)



Disclaimer: I am not a professional health anything. I am a health trekker, updating my audience with the different sights, and hopefully encouraging others on their own journeys. I am moving towards a healthier lifestyle in a slow and steady approach.




Spinach artichoke spread by Nora, and chips.
Along an extra walk length.
Turkey, roast beef, and swiss cheese sandwich.
Pepper steak, string beans, and garlic spinach mushroom salad.
Maui Mike's Chicken - having the leftover for
a future lunch.

My version of Parmesan Eggplant, a tried recipe (post coming
soon, I hope!)
Salmon #1: honey basil.
My first unassisted mashed potatoes! (Well, I had
a few questions answered, but I made them all on my own).
Salmon #2: plain lemon pepper and garlic salt.
Salmon #3: miso.
Corn and Corned Beef Hash with onions.
Creeper in the dark picture!
Complete with appropriate
Data-like glow.