Tuesday, August 18, 2015

A Friend of the Library [August 2015]



Post originally published by Jennifer X on Who I Am, August 18th, 2015.

Lately, I have been good about renewing/ returning library books on time… until this past week. I knew I should have checked the due date but I didn’t. It wasn’t too bad because I don’t have too many books out (this time) and it was only a few days late (this time).

So, I made a trip to the library… on quite a dangerous day. The Friends of the Library Book Sale was going on. I tried to resist a look, I really did! I passed many boxes, saw titles that interested me, and didn’t pick one up... until I did.



I picked up:
Let Me Be a Woman by Elisabeth Elliot
Introverts in the Church by Adam S. McHugh
The Introvert Advantage by Marti Olsen Laney
The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw
The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis
A Tradition of Excellence by University of Hawaii Press
Hawaiian Sculpture by J. Halley Cox with William H. Davenport
The Architecture of Charles W. Dickey: Hawaii and California by Robert Jay



You know how it happens. I pick up one book. Then another. The next one justifies another one. And then there are 8 books in my arms. I don’t even recall which book started it.

I did restrain myself though; I wanted more books. I didn’t even comb through the fiction section. I went for books that would probably be difficult to get, like the last three titles with Hawaii connections.

I could have written a book on thoughts on thinking. Well,
okay, I could write a whole series of series on it.
The two introvert books, I was curious to see how they define introversion and what they say about it, especially the one about church. The Elisabeth Elliot book sounds like something I might read before I write certain posts that I have had in mind for a long time.

The Greatest Generation and The Abolition of Man are two books that had been on my list to get and to read for a good while.

They are all in good to great condition.

When will I get a chance to read any of them? Who knows?

*Remind me to pack up books to donate for the next sale.




  • Have you read any of these? Do you have any thoughts you would like to share on them?

  • Are you a Friend of the Library?


Thank you for reading! You are welcome to leave a comment and/or question(s) in the section below :)