Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Hitting Pan and Other Crimes of Passion


Post originally published by Jennifer X on Who I Am, June 18th, 2015

I have not been organizing a monthly beauty palette. I don’t have the motivation to work on one (choosing items, writing, taking pictures, etc.) while working a full-time job. I still wanted to be able to write about what I’ve been doing beauty-wise, so here is more of a report of what’s been happening in my world of cosmetics.

While I’m not officially doing the monthly thing for now, I am somewhat operating as if I have chosen a group of products for the month, yet also breaking away from that group on a regular basis. The office isn’t so conservative that I can’t wear pops of color at all, but I want to look “work-appropriate”, so I might slip in a green eye look whenever I want to but not a purple-red-silver eye look.

The monthly thing was like good training for understanding what goes on my face, where, when, and with what, so I’m glad that I had gone through that experience for several months. I sometimes forget mascara still, and a couple of times, I almost forgot to fill in my eyebrows, but other than that, it’s been great.

Products for Continuous Feature

The products for continuous feature (monthly beauty palettes) have remained in constant use. The progress on those items are roughly (% used up):
     (75%)   Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup – Natural Beige
     (50%)   Rimmel Stay Matte Powder – Transparent
     (97%)   Revlon Photoready Concealer – Light Medium (See Note 1 at end)
     (55%)   Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles – Brightener
     (20%)   NYX Eyebrow Cake Powder – Taupe/ Ash
     (Who knows??)             *Urban Decay Big Fatty Mascara
I am quite pleased with the progress overall.


Sometimes I use another foundation, but I think I can finish up the Neutrogena Healthy Skin with regular use over the next 6 weeks. The Revlon Photoready Concealer is almost all gone; I have been using a brush to  scrape the last bits down in the tube, which has been taking a long time but I expect to be done with it in another month – I would repurchase it (though not yet since I have two other concealers to use).


The Big Fatty Mascara is still going 6 months strong! I think I’m going to throw it out though because mascara is not something that one ought to use for that long (recommended use is around 3 months), for hygienic reasons, so it’s about time that I decide on the next one to try and to use up. I have 4 to choose from, but I would purchase the Big Fatty if it’s the best of the ones I try/ have tried.



All month, I have been switching up the lip colors often. I used:
     MAC Marilyn Monroe Collection – Charmed, I’m Sure (LE)
     L’Oreal Infallible – Tender Berry
     Bite Beauty High Pigment Pencil – Sable, Rhubarb
     Milani Color Statement – Nude Crème, Flirty Fuchsia, Matte Orchid
     MAC – Ravishing
     Urban Decay Revolution – Fiend
     Revlon Lip Butter – Peach Parfait
     Rimmel Show-Off Lip Lacquer – Aurora
     Maybelline Vivid – Vivid Rose
And probably a few others that I have forgotten to mention. I’ve been more mindful of making use of the more liquid products, as they deteriorate quicker than the cream sticks, so I’m glad that I’ve used them. Other than that, I’ve been using the more muted lip colors, and throwing into the mix a red or bright fuchsia pop.


The thing I have been excited about and that has kept me going well with the makeup use is that earlier this month, I hit pan on at least a couple of products!

For those who didn’t know, most powder cosmetic products come in a (usually aluminum) pan. People get excited about “hitting pan” (seeing the first signs of the pan) because powder products last long and take a long time to use up. Some cream products, like a cream blush, come in a pan also.


I hit the tiniest bit of pan on one of the brow powders from the NYX Eyebrow Cake Powder – I think it’s the Taupe shade with the pan showing. I have been using this brow powder duo for years, with a hiatus from it while I tried an eyebrow pencil. I was striking Taupe with a brush in the same spot on purpose (to get to the pan). I know it sounds so strange but I am happy about hitting pan.

My medium-sized Z-Palette.
Plus, I broke the cover, so I depotted the powders and put it in my Z-palette.

The other product is the second shade (not named) in the Quartz Quartet eye shadow quad from Physicians Formula. The formula of this palette is really soft, kicks up powder easily, and so hitting pan on one of these wasn’t as exciting as for the brow powder. The softer, more powdery the formula, the easier it is to reach pan, to use it up. Still, I am pleased with the progress. Hitting pan is hitting pan.

I think I am close to hitting pan on MAC’s Ricepaper (see Note 2). I’m excited because Ricepaper was one of, if not the first, MAC eye shadow that I purchased so many years ago. For a long time, it was the only highlighting shadow that I owned, and so made regular use of it. I moved away from it for a long time as well because I wasn’t too sure about using such a frosty kind of shadow. I returned to it this month, as I’ve been using the products in the Z-palette more regularly (since breaking the cover to the eyebrow powder), and since I had gotten more comfortable with shimmery, frosty shadows in recent years.

Maybelline Color Tattoos come in pots, not pans; however, I have hit bottom on Icy Mint. I have started to use the Color Tattoos from the side so that I can more easily see the progress as I use them up and that is what I did here. It didn’t take long, if one were to count up the individual times that I used Icy Mint – the pot isn’t as deep as it seems.

Urban Decay Naked Palette: Virgin / Sin / Naked / Sidecar
I didn’t change up the eye look colors as much as I had with the lip colors. I’ve been focused mainly on making progress with the Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze (63%). Other shades and palettes I used several times in June:
     Urban Decay Naked Palette – Virgin, Naked, Sidecar
     MAC – Ricepaper, Satin Taupe, Bamboo
     Makeup Geek – Cinderella, Mango Tango, Moondust
Sidecar was and remains my top shade from the Naked Palette – I might purchase it in the single shadow format, but it can wait. Ones from June’s set listed above that I would repurchase: Ricepaper, Bamboo, Cinderella, Moondust – I really enjoy these colors. I had to grow into loving Cinderella.

For blush, I mostly used NYX’s Peach. Since I was going to be using the Z-palette more often, I put Peach back in there too. It made the morning routine easier.


With perfumes, I mostly switched it up between Chloe by Chloe, Be Delicious Fresh Blossom by DKNY, and Honey by Marc Jacobs. Honey is still just okay for me, but I have come to like Fresh Blossom again, maybe even more than previously. Chloe is yet one of the tops of the tops though.

I didn’t take time to really take pictures of any beauty thing – it’s going to be tough to do in the mornings or weekends for how I tend to like doing the old makeup pictures/ posts.


Note 1: Since working on this post and having taken the photos, I have finished off the concealer. There is still a little product down at the bottom of the tube, but I’m calling it finished. The moving part in the tube has cleat-like things at the bottom which held the product in place and may ruin the brush I use to get the product out now, and I don’t think it’s worth it to scrape it out more – I’m cheap, but the time and effort to cost ratio to dig the rest out doesn’t make the grade.


Note 2: I have also hit the tiniest bit of pan on Ricepaper!

Thank you for reading! You are welcome to leave a comment and/or question(s) in the section below :)


Disclaimer: I am not a professional makeup anything. I am a journeyman makeup enjoyer, hopefully contributing something interesting to my audience. All items purchased by myself unless otherwise noted. For comparison, my skin is a medium yellow tone with cool undertones; the foundations that best match me has been: MAC Studio Fix C30, Neutrogena Healthy Skin Natural Beige 60, Revlon Colorstay Whipped Medium Beige 250.