Saturday, June 27, 2015

Sign of Life - June 2015 - Internship



Adjusting to an adult schedule has been brutal for me – yes, exaggeration. Mainly, it’s that I’m not a morning person. It’s like I don’t know who I am anymore. Waking up before the sunrise five out of seven mornings?! Going to sleep before midnight… on purpose?! Who AM I?

My energy level wavers sometimes. I think it’s my body freaking out because I’m awake when I usually am not, like waking up in an unfamiliar place until one awakens enough to realize that one is on vacation, waking up in the hotel bed, or something like that. I’m not too worried anymore though because I have days where I am good all work day… and then I get to the ride home and I’m out like a light for about a 20-minute nap – I still love naps.

Thankfully, there is the express bus that stops not too far from my house. Thankfully, I like the people at the office. Thankfully, I like my work. Thankfully, I like getting paid – I could get up in the morning for that!

I also missed wearing high heels. I really did. The last time I wore high heels rather regularly was when I worked a retail and a restaurant job many, many years ago. I’m not wearing heels everyday… yet.

I enjoy lunch on my own, but having lunch with co-workers quite frequently has been cool as well. I’m awkward penguin all over the place, but they don’t seem to mind… yet… as far as I can tell…. It might not be as bad as I think it is, but I know I’ve been awkward at least a couple times so far.

Besides, the first time I decided to go out to lunch on my own, I had a bad time. That will be a story on its own if I ever get to typing it out. I’ll still go to lunch on my own again, but I’m going to give it a few days more before I do.

Anyway, the size of the office is just about right for me I think. I prefer working in a small- to medium-sized office. This office in particular is great for an internship because they have a working/ teaching kind of mentality, helping each other out, and opening up opportunities that don’t usually go to interns, from what I understand. Like, I’ll be able to come along on job sites, some meetings, I’ve been working on figuring out certain details on a project, etc. I am really getting to know a project and a lot of the things that go into preparing and executing one, in contrast to simply being told what to do and doing it. Questions are very encouraged. I’m learning a lot.

I am the creepy morning shadows worker though. I am one of the ones who get to work early, but usually the only one on one side of the office and I don’t turn on the lights when I get in. I was told every day for a week or so where the light switch was – haha. It’s not really that dark for now; it’s summer, I have a window to one side, and I get enough light from the other side of the office. Oh, and I have my own little desk space – I love it.

You know what else? They have good office chairs! I’m impressed by the office chairs. It actually encourages me to sit up straight, yet it’s not bad for my back if I relax more. My back is so happy, I don’t know what to do.

Any downside? Well, sort of – there are treats at the office quite often, at least so far. Cookies. Candies. Pastries. I don’t know who’s bringing them in, but it’s dangerous! :P I have been practicing self-control regarding the treats, for the most part, but it’s so tempting. Still, it’s great that the kitchen is well-stocked with emergency provisions, teas, coffee, etc. I’m drinking more water. Parking is limited, in the building garage and on the streets, but they do try to rotate out the designated spots, and mostly I take the bus.

Another not-really downside is that the building stairs are typical, fully-enclosed, tight-feeling fire emergency stairs, so I’m not that motivated to do stairs there (which is why school campuses are great for doing stairs for exercising – they tend to be more open and wide). Maybe if we were on a lower floor, I would. Or maybe I’ll do it at least once a week, like have a Stair Day.

Otherwise, I am aware of how much of a blessing it is that I got this position. I don’t feel deserving of it. I always want to do an excellent job wherever I work, but this is amazing and I don’t want to take it for granted.*

So, I’m still very much alive! Some of you are grateful for that so that’s cool. It’s tough to tell sometimes. :P I’m starting to settle in to life and am working on more blog posts, so don’t count me out just yet, please. Also, I have a bunch of pics to share, so I’ll be putting that in another post mainly for them.

Thank you for all the encouragement and support you have been giving me all these years through the ups and downs. It’s great to have a more constant up at the moment.

Thank you for checking in.




*I’ve heard some stories of past interns who were unimpressive, so I think I’m doing okay. I at least know AutoCAD – it’s just a matter of recalling and improving on that skill, which I think I am doing. :) 



First day excitement! Or, my face
while I wait for the bus.

Is this better?

What IS that light?!

Uh, because I was fussing with
my phone and this happened...?

Free drink from Fire Drill Day.

Treats at the kitchen.

Creeper in the shadows.

Talk about creeper in the shadow....

Creeper caught with better lighting setting.