Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Face Files: Sizzle’in Red Lips


When I am home, I will play around with products about which I’m excited or not so sure. My skill level with makeup is very low, like a 2, so take that into account. I’ve been trying to figure out a way to wear Shanghai Sizzle on its own, but to not much improvement.
____________________________

Face products:
Neutrogena Pure & Free Liquid Sunscreen - B.S. SPF 50
MAC Prep + Prime Moisture Infusion
Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser - 60 Brightener
Revlon Photoready Concealer - 003 Light/ Medium
Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation (sample) - Dawn
Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour Blush - Exposed
Rimmel Stay Matte Powder - 001 Transparent
NYX Eyebrow Cake Powder - 03 Taupe/ Ash

Eye Products:
Maybelline Color Tattoo - 25 Bad to the Bronze
(Urban Decay Naked Palette):
       Virgin – center lid, inner corner, browbone highlight
       Naked – above crease to highlight, smudge out lower lash line
       Toasted – crease, outer corners
       Gunsmoke – lower lash line
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on Eye Pencil - Ransom
Urban Decay Big Fatty Mascara

Lip Products:
MAC Lip Pencil - Cherry
Revlon Colorstay Moisture Stain – 040 Shanghai Sizzle

*All products purchased by me.
____________________________

Revlon Colorstay Moisture Stain in Shanghai Sizzle:

First off, I am clumsy with liquid lip products in general, which includes this Moisture Stain. It’s difficult for me to control the applicator in order to get a decent shape of color on my lips. I would say that its true color is a bright poppy red, but can be sheered out to not be so bold.

I don’t think this makes the teeth look whiter or more yellowed, so I suppose it has a neutral tone. My teeth are a light yellow, I’d say; I tried taking a smiling picture to show the effect, if any.

If I use a thin layer, this stain settles at the borders and into the grooves of my lips, making it look like just a thick layer of fruit punch. It does look a little better after a few minutes of sitting. If I use a thicker layer, the color is more even but again, it’s difficult to control, and it gets gooey. It starts to gather where my lips meet, and then I’ll have strings forming when I open my mouth – not attractive, I think. I’m nervous to go outside with my hair down, or the wind might blow my hair around, picking up some of the stain, making unauthorized streaks on the rest of my face, which hasn’t happened yet only because I keep checking my face in the mirror.

However, I have found 2 way that I can use it up. The first is to wear it as more of a lip gloss on top of something else. In the pictures, I have it over the Cherry lip pencil. I lined the lips, filled it all in, and then put the stain over it. I still checked the mirror every so often for any errant hair painting. The other way would be to use it in two thin layers, patted out with a finger, and lined with a pencil (line lips first, then pat out stain). I prefer the first way as it still looks more finished and fuller.
____________________________

To summarize: I’m disappointed, but I still like it – it’s mostly my clumsiness with this product so I can’t use it alone – it’s a pretty color.


I listed all the other products on my face also because this look was a part using my February 2015 Beauty Palette items.

One positive: I am starting to get more used to seeing myself wear red lips.



Thank you for reading! You are welcome to leave a comment and/or question(s) in the section below :)


Disclaimer: I am not a professional makeup anything. I am a journeyman makeup enjoyer, hopefully contributing something interesting to my audience. All items purchased by myself unless otherwise noted.