Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Star-influenced: Gwen Stefani & OPI

Hello!
OPI: 2013 Gwen Stefani Collection
L-R: In True Stefani Fashion, 4 In The Morning,
Love.Angel.Music.Baby., I Sing In Color,
and Hey Baby

 I am not normally one to buy something because of a celebrity. However, I didn’t want to pass up on the 2013 Gwen Stefani collection for OPI.


1. I like Gwen Stefani. I like the music of No Doubt and Stefani’s solo work. I like her personality; she reminds me of a good friend of mine. I like her fashion designs. If she’s human, I don’t think I want to know! :P

2. I wanted to try OPI nail polishes, eventually. I have enough nail polish - it’s not something I tend to go crazy over - but I have become appreciative of the brands frequently used in nail salons, and OPI is used in nail salons. What I’m trying to say is that I’ve been interested in trying OPI nail polish but was not in a rush about it.

3. OPI and Stefani worked together on a nail polish collection last December, which I missed because I don’t follow fashion/ beauty things much. I considered finding one online somehow, as what better way to choose an OPI color to try than something related to someone I like.

4. I go to TJMaxx every so often just to walk around and look. Recently, I found that they had the Stefani collection from last year.

Therefore, I picked up 5 of the nail polishes from the 2013 collection. I don’t know if they are Limited Edition or not; just before seeing them at TJMaxx, I saw them at a local salon, and some of them can be found online. I got these for about half the price that they were at the salon.
____________________________

Hey Baby -
I Sing In Color with 4 In The Morning accent nail
(outdoor lighting)
(Descriptions taken from The Polishaholic, link in the bottom notes)
“A bright pink creme.”
To be honest, I didn’t need another bright pink, and I’m not usually one to use the excuse “but they are slightly different” when it comes to nail polish. I wear the bright pinks enough that I will probably make good use of this one as well.

In True Stefani Fashion -
“A glitter bomb with silver and holographic glitter.”
I also don’t use a lot of glitter polishes - I only have two other glitter treatments and one colored base with glitter in it. I like that this one has different glitters - two or three differently sized rounds and one size of squares - and that it is thick with the glitter.

Love. Angel. Music. Baby. -
“A gold satin matte.”
This is the one I am most excited to try. I tend to go for silver over gold in general, but I like this kind of pale gold. The swatches I have seen look great.

I Sing In Color -
“A dark vampy red.”
I am most iffy about this one because it’s not anything I would normally go for at all - I bought my first red polish earlier just this year. I am okay with dark nail colors, so we will see how it looks on my nails.

4 In The Morning -
“A black base with a soft silver shimmer.”
Okay, I REALLY didn’t need this one. It is essentially just a slightly darker shade of another polish that I already had. This one is a “satin” while the other is a completely matte shade. Unlike with the multiple bright pinks, I don’t know that I’ll be reaching for these polishes enough to keep both for the long haul.
____________________________

If I end up not liking any of them, I have friends who enjoy nail polish, or I might donate them to an organization.

4 In The Morning with I Sing In Color accent nail
(indoor lighting)
Update: today, I put on I Sing In Color and 4 In The Morning - I am pleased so far! I used a base coat, two coats of color, and then I used a top coat only over the vampy red. I can’t speak on longevity yet, of course, but I like how smoothly they went on.

I Sing In Color does look a little patchy in the photo, but that was due to my impatient hand - it went on much better on the other hand. 4 In The Morning is quite different from the other polish that was already in my collection; I will probably be keeping both but if it came down to choosing… I would probably keep 4 In The Morning over the other one, slightly. It is a smooth satin black that is not flat.

OPI has teamed up with Stefani again for this year’s holiday collection. I probably won’t be getting any from this year, just because I have enough nail polish and these 5 from last year are enough to satisfy me for awhile. You can read more about it and see swatches here: [ThePolishAholic: OPI Holiday 2014 Gwen Stefani Collection Swatches & Review].

Do you have any OPI nail polish favorites?
Have you bought anything because of the celebrity name attached?

Thank you for reading! You are welcome to leave a comment and/or question(s) in the section below :)



Notes:
A thank you to The PolishAholic for the polish descriptions; find the descriptions and swatches here: [ThePolishAholic: OPI Gwen Stefani Collection Swatches & Review].