Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Get Used Up To It Project Update - November 2014

Hello,


I had two goals for the project:

1. To use up products
2. To get used to using certain products

____________________________

The List

MAC Studio Fix Powder Foundation
Tarte Maracuja Miracle Foundation
Rimmel Stay Matte Powder
Nuance Tinted Moisturizer
Revlon Photoready Concealer
Milani Baked Blush -Luminoso
Maybelline Color Tattoo - Bad to the Bronze
- Audacious Asphalt
Sei Bella (Nicole Miller) Eyeshadow Duo Compact - Caribbean/ Midnight
- Fiji/ Moss
Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Nude Eyeliner - Pewter
Sei Bella Definition Brow Pencil - Brunette
Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick -Smoked Peach
Revlon Lip Butter -Strawberry Shortcake
Sei Bella Lipstick - Sunripened
NYX Mega Shine Lip Gloss -Frosted Beige
Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain - Crush
China Glaze nail polish - Peachy Keen
Physicians Formula Organic Wear Mascara

Products in bold = ones used 4 or more times during the interval.
____________________________

Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Crush
Sei Bella Brow Pencil in Brunette
Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Smoked Peach
Revlon Balm Stain Crush: leaves a pretty red plum stain. I’m starting to like it on its own, but still not into such a dark burgundy color. It’s odd - the first application, I have to build up the color or it looks patchy and weird, but then it gets too dark and burgundy. If I wipe it off after that, and go back with a lighter application, it’s a little more like the plum color that can be okay on me - still a bit dark, but wearable because the stain underneath doesn’t contain much brown in it. Maybe it’s my lighting that throws me off.

I can use Crush for its stain as a base for other lip colors as well. It would go great as a base for something more sheer like the Revlon Lip Butters or as a booster for something that doesn’t last as long. It also has the potential to help me wear a color that I don’t like as much by changing it up a little.

Anyway, I’ve been using Crush a lot more now that I can get the color to work for me; I already really liked the formula of the product. I’ve been using it even on days that I stay home because it feels so good on the lips.

Revlon Lipstick Smoked Peach: I’ve found another way to make it work for me - layer it over the red plum stain of Crush. The downside is that refreshing the color is tricky, since it’s from a stain + matte lipstick layering. I have been wiping off the lipstick, refreshing the stain a little, and then putting on more Smoked Peach. I haven’t tried using a gloss or balm on top of it yet.

Sei Bella Brow Pencil: If I could figure out how to use a lighter hand with it and have it still look like an improvement from my bare brows, it would be good. I need to find a spoolie - it would help immensely.


Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze
Bad to the Bronze: I’ve hit bottom! It’s a little easier to use now and somehow feels creamier, or at least, less dry. I have come to dislike the color a little less than before; I won’t miss it when it’s gone or really dried out, and I’m ready to move on to others that I have and like more. One can see in the picture of it that there’s a crumbly area and a smooth area. I’ve been using the smooth area, where it is still creamy enough to use. Once that runs out, I’ll be tossing it.


Nuance Tinted Moisturizer in Medium
Rimmel Stay Matte Powder in Transparent
Nuance Tinted Moisturizer: Medium is too dark. I have been trying to figure out a way to balance it out to better match my skin, but either I haven’t found a good technique or I don’t have the right balancing color/ powder product to do it. Also, one can still see the discoloration of my skin through the tint, of course, but it almost looks like it enhances the discoloration, at least on my face, with this tint. I like the idea of a tinted moisturizer, though even on a casual day, I’d rather use a foundation/ product that has a little coverage or go bare-faced. It did help me look like I had a little tan, but I don’t really care for the tanned look on myself.

Rimmel Stay Matte Powder: I think I’m getting the hang of this product! Before, I was using a small brush that was made to be a setting brush. I have since tried using a bigger and less dense blush brush with this powder - it just popped into my mind one day to try it out. I think this is working better for me. It doesn’t cake on the powder, even if I make several passes over my shiny areas, and yet I can tell that the powder is there, reducing the shine.


China Glaze nail lacquer in Peachy Keen
Tarte Maracuja Miracle Foundation in Light
Other notes: My skin has been pretty good, and so I had not much need for the concealer.

Some of the measurement pictures are from the previous update, as some products start to look quite icky in photos the more one uses them (especially when mixing them with other lip colors); see the differences in the pictures of Crush and Smoked Peach to see what I mean.

I still don’t know how to make good use of lip glosses, so either I could keep trying or I just don’t prefer them.

I think one of the markings on Peachy Keen rubbed off.
____________________________

November measurements, with October
and September marks
Didn’t use up any items this time around, but did get used to more, so… I think I did okay.
This will be the last project update for this year. Already, I am thinking about changes to how I’ve been doing this (like shortening the ridiculous name of it because not everyone is into ridiculosity like I am). I will probably do a separate post about it, once I have the ideas a little more worked out (if that ever happens).

In case I don’t get to that separate post, I can say here that I am glad that I did this, even though I wasn’t quite sure about it or what I wanted at the start. Through this project, I’ve become more confident in my skills and in getting to better know what I like. It has provided practice in writing about such things, as well as practice in picture-taking (it’s gotten a little better, right?).  

Thanksgiving is next week - I am thankful that people have been stopping by here! I hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

Thank you for reading! You are welcome to leave a comment in the section below :)
Click on pictures for larger view.