Monday, August 18, 2014

Get Used Up To It Project


While my makeup stash has grown quite a bit in the last year, I don’t have much compared to those who really get into makeup. Even so, I like to keep my stash manageable and uncluttered; I also like to make good use of things I purchase. It is on the verge of unmanageable, for me, so I thought I would make an effort to use up a few products.
____________________________

The List

Revlon Colorstay Whipped Foundation
MAC Studio Fix Powder Foundation
Rimmel Stay Matte Powder
Nuance Tinted Moisturizer
Revlon Photoready Concealer
Milani Baked Blush -Luminoso
Maybelline Color Tattoo - Bad to the Bronze
- Audacious Asphalt
Sei Bella (Nicole Miller) Eyeshadow Duo Compact
- Caribbean/ Midnight
- Fiji/ Moss
Benefit They’re Real Mascara (sample)
Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Nude Eyeliner - Pewter
Sei Bella Definition Brow Pencil - Brunette
Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick -Smoked Peach
Revlon Lip Butter -Strawberry Shortcake
Sei Bella Lipstick - Sunripened
NYX Mega Shine Lip Gloss -Frosted Beige
NYX Xtreme Lip Cream -Pinky Nude
Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain - Crush
Essie nail polish - A Crewed Interest
China Glaze nail polish - Peachy Keen
____________________________

I know, it’s quite a list. Some items will be easy to use up; for others, it will take more time and effort. Items are on the list for a few different reasons, like longevity/ expiration, color, time of possession, amount of product left. Cream and liquid products do not have the longevity that powder and dry products do, so I put those priority on the list. Most of these are products that I like; I usually do a little research into makeup products before I buy them, so I have very few disappointing products, except for color matches. Store lighting, lighting and other camera settings on swatches, matching colors with my own skintone can affect the color perception and trip me up.



The Revlon Colorstay Whipped foundation is one of the top foundation formulas for me; there is about a day or two worth left at the moment, so that will be done soon and I already have a backup waiting. The MAC Studio Fix Powder Foundation is also one of my top foundations. I wanted a good foundation for being in a wedding party, tried and liked it, but I’ve had it for a few years now, have made a good dent in it, so I just want to use it up. I will probably repurchase it after I’ve finished this one.




The Rimmel Stay Matte Powder is okay, and that might just be user error; I’m still trying to figure out how to powder well, developing a technique. The Nuance Tinted Moisturizer is good but I got a shade that is a little too dark for me (it’s easier to darken a product that is too light rather than work a product that is too dark). The Revlon Photoready Concealer is okay and that may also be user error, but I have another concealer that seems to work better for me. Milani’s Luminoso is pretty. I like all of the blushes that I have but want to make a good dent in one, so Luminoso is just the one that I chose for current everyday use.



The Maybelline Color Tattoos are creamy products to use up. Besides overall color, I use them as an eyeshadow or eyeliner base. Bad to the Bronze is my least favored color of the Tattoos that I have and I’ve had Audacious Asphalt long enough. I’ve had the Sei Bella Eyeshadows for years and just want to use them up (they are blues and greens).



Mascaras shouldn’t be kept long and Benefit’s They’re Real, while I like the formula, is simply the one that I am currently using. The free sample of it will be retired in about a month and then I might purchase a full size of it. I really like the Physicians Formula eyeliners, but I just need to be using some up, so I chose Pewter. The Sei Bella Definition Brow Pencil has been user error; I am more comfortable using a powder to fill in the brows, I’ve had this for a long time already, so I would like to be done with it.



Revlon’s matte lipstick formula is good, but Smoked Peach is not a good color on me. The same goes with the Strawberry Shortcake lip butter, Sei Bella’s Sun Ripened, and Revlon Crush balm stain - good formulas, not good colors on me. For the NYX lip gloss and lip cream, they are good formulas and good colors, but creamy products that I need to use before they go bad.



Essie’s A Crewed Interest is a pretty light peach color, but the formula has thickened up quickly; I might try a thinner with it, but even so, it’s about halfway done so might as well use it up. China Glaze’s Peachy Keen is… I’m not sure if it’s a good color for me or not, but it’s in about the same state as A Crewed Interest, so I’m going to use it up.
____________________________

With these products, I am able to create a full look, but I may use other products as well, for a special look or to supplement a little change up from this list. Otherwise, my everyday look shall come from the list.

I plan on doing an update in about 30 days, reporting whether or not things are getting used up. Ideally, I’d like to cross off 5 products, but I think at least 3 is more realistic: the Revlon foundation is a given; the Benefit mascara should be retired by then; and NYX’s Pinky Nude might have to be retired by then as well (its scent is starting to change, a usual sign of going bad).

I think I’ll be able to make a good or bigger dent in: the Nuance tinted moisturizer, MAC foundation, Essie nail polish, Revlon Strawberry Shortcake and Smoked Peach (I usually wear these together), and maybe the Rimmel powder.

As to growing my makeup stash, I have already put restrictions on purchasing since June and have done well (it’s not that difficult for me) and so I’ll carry on with it. If/when I do use up something from the list, I don’t have a need/ want to repurchase anything, at least not right away, so that won’t be an issue.

I rarely get into the limited edition collections that brands produce, but if I am very interested in an item or two, and if I have finances for it, I might allow the purchase.
____________________________

I… don’t know how to end this, I just thought I’d share this, so... thanks and bye!



Thank you for reading! You are welcome to leave a comment in the section below :)

P.S. This is related to what others call a “Project 10 Pan” or “Use It Up/ Declutter Project” in the beauty community, but I don’t know if I can be considered a full member of the beauty community and I don’t care to conform to the usual project conventions.

P.P.S. By the time I’ve posted this, I have already begun. :D