Friday, April 25, 2014

Healthy Go: Hello?

Hello! I’m still alive! Yay.

Obviously, I’m still not back into weekly HG updates… yet. Finals are coming up again soon and so hopefully I can get through this bit and work up a groove again. I think one of the things that helps me keep on a HG trend is a regular schedule; when I started HG, I had two semesters of fairly regular schedules, and when I started sliding, it was during a rather irregular schedule. I am not naturally motivated to schedule myself out, and so having an external framework helps me greatly, to get me in a rhythmic pattern.

I’m moving about well again, I think. I’ve started to work in exercise a little more over the weeks. I’ve noticed that since that latest on-crutches episode with my legs, my legs are able to remain straight more than they could before, so somehow, that last painful experience worked out something in my leg muscles, corrected something. What? I don’t know. When I would sit up, I would have to bend my knees quite a bit. I noticed though, that when I do leg lifts, I am able to keep my knees unbent more now.

I’ve been eating more fresh foods lately. I didn’t say that I ate all healthy, but I’ve been eating fresher foods overall. Here are a few of the things I’ve been eating lately (better than eating fried or fast food ALL the time), and not all of them are healthy (but eaten in moderation):

1. Chicken, avocado half, asparagus, parmesan cheese. I was too lazy that night to mash up the avocado into a nicer spread.


2. Chicken, avocado half, artichoke.


3. Healthy Choice steamers: Portabella Spinach Parmesan and Four Cheese Ravioli & Chicken Marinara - http://www.healthychoice.com/products - I try pre-made home dinners only about once or twice a year for quick options. I wouldn’t make these a main choice regularly. However, out of all, I have enjoyed the HC steamers - enough flavor, one can take out some of the sauce for less calories, enough to be one satisfying meal.












4. Veggie Wrap - I might have shared this before. For an on-campus option, this seems very healthy - spinach wrap, spinach, tomato, carrots, american cheese, red cabbage, a little bit of sauce. I would prefer a different cheese, but this will do.


5. Food from the Greek Corner. Greek food is not necessarily all healthy, so watch portions. Spanakopita and Baba Ghannouge with pita bread as appetizers, for lunch and dinner. Beef and Lamb Gyro with Fries, for lunch and dinner (should have ordered with salad instead). (I didn’t use any salad dressing or sauces). I like it and splitting the portions are satisfying enough for me.












6. Shrimp Chow Mein - my aunt treated me to Chinese food. I finished about 1/5th of the plate, then shared the rest later with Mom and Dad. It was good but it was a lot!



7. Asparagus with parmesan cheese, spinach and mushroom salad (with a dot of butter for taste).


8. Bowl of fruit. Strawberries, blackberries, and I’ve also been eating bananas, grapes, apples, and oranges. I am waiting for kiwi fruit to come into season and enjoy those again also.


Other than that, I have been snacking on more almonds, Snapea Crisps, and Barbara’s Baked White Cheddar Puffs, sometimes a cheese bite like Babybel or string cheese. I’ve also been enjoying some mocha drinks, but I have been making it a point to have more water along with them; I’ve been drinking more water overall even without mocha drinks.

I didn’t think my body looked like it had changed at all, but on a whim, I decided to try on my aqua shorts again and guess what - they fit again! Yay me! I still have a ways to go, but that is a good step in the right direction, and think how much more will change as I ramp up efforts. Enlarging wardrobe without spending more money by refitting into old clothes - WIN.



Next up: beach shorts. My Seattle shirt could stand to be a little less tight as well.