Monday, August 19, 2013

MBTI Basic & INTP

Hello,

MBTI stands for Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. One can find a better description of the MBTI here: [The Myers-Briggs Foundation: MBTI Basics] 

Or, one can read on for my understanding of the system.

Based on 4 preferences in an order, each with 2 choices, the MBTI generates 16 different personality types.

The first preference involves one’s “favorite world,” whether one prefers “to focus on the outer world or on your own inner world,” with the choices being for extraversion (E) or introversion (I).

The second preference is about the type of information one likes to process. The choices are between sensing (S), taking in basic information, or intuition (N; “I” already used for introversion), deriving meaning from the information.

The third preference has to do with how one makes decisions. The thinking (T) choice prefers to look for “logic and consistency” while the feeling (F) choice prefers to “look at people and special circumstances.”

The fourth preference is regarding structure, or how one orders their information. If one prefers to have decisions made, then one probably has the judging (J) choice (not to be confused with being “judgmental”). If one prefers to remain open to “new information and options,” then one probably has the perceiving (P) choice.

Based on this system, I am an INTP.
____________________________

The MBTI Foundation’s site says of the INTP:
“seek to develop logical explanations for everything that interests them. Theoretical and abstract, interested more in ideas than in social interaction. Quiet, contained, flexible, and adaptable. Have unusual ability to focus in depth to solve problems in their area of interest. Skeptical, sometimes critical, always analytical.”

I would say that I can be described with the above statements. It is a general description that I think describes my natural state of being.

I brought up the MBTI and my self-assessment because I have found it interesting as far as self-discovery and trying to express myself to others, especially in my writing. A lot of the writing I have been working on has had to do with expressing who I am (it’s the title of this journal, after all) and how I view things, but there are a lot of pieces that I haven’t posted for one reason or another. I may reference the INTP thing in later posts; I already see INTP traits in some of my posted pieces.

In my opinion, the MBTI is a general personality type indicator, as it says. The system was based on Carl Jung’s cognitive functions, which goes deeper into one’s inner workings. In studying the Jungian cognitive functions, I believe more strongly that I am an INTP by that system as well. I have also gotten a clearer understanding of myself; this will be a topic for another time.

For now, I will leave you with a cautious thought: if you get interesting in “typing,” view it as a tool. What I mean is that it is useful for things like creating better communication between oneself and another person or in understanding one’s preferences and such. I would be careful not to take these ideas and think that one can have anyone “figured out.”

I am an INTP but I am always firstly Jennifer. The way that adaptability manifests in my thoughts and actions may be different from how it manifests in another INTP type person.