Monday, February 4, 2013

The Good Word: God is Sovereign


Reading God’s Story plan: current

I missed posting last Monday but I am still up-to-date with my reading plan.

The past week, the readings were in Job 25-42, Psalm 19 and 29, and Exodus 1-4.

Job is an interesting book. It is one of the few that gives us a perspective on Satan. In fact, it gives a couple of conversations between God and Satan. God boasts in his servant Job, so Satan attacks Job’s character by taking Job’s possessions and children. Job’s response pleases God, and so Satan attacks Job’s health.

At this point, the thing that I notice in all of this is that Satan is not God’s equal. He reports to God. He answers to God. Satan is limited in his abilities, because God allows Satan to attack Job, but only so far:

“And the Lord said to Satan, ‘Behold, he is in your hand, but spare his life.’”
(Job 2:6; NKJV)

God is not pleading with Satan, “Please spare Job.” God is giving a command, a protection around Job’s life that Satan cannot breach.

What do I take away from this?

1. God is greater than Satan.

God reveals Satan’s nature and his strategies in the Bible. Imagine if you had a plan to take over the world and God put you and your plan all over YouTube no matter how much you try to conceal it. So do I imagine that Satan wanted to be or is okay with being in the Bible with his ways revealed to us? No.

As I mentioned before, Satan reports to God, not the other way around. This isn’t water cooler talk between colleagues.

2. God is sovereign over my life.

This is not to say that if I die by some horrific circumstance or illness, that God caused my death. It is to say that I can step out in trust that if it’s not my time, there’s nothing Satan can do about it.
____________________________

I sense that there is more in even just the first chapters of Job so that’s what I got during this reading of Job.

I know my writing is rather flat today and I apologize. I am not feeling 100%, though even at 100%, I can still write flatly.

I hope that there is some encouragement for you as it does for me, that God is sovereign. One can imagine what life would be like if Satan were sovereign; I imagine it would be very dire and hopeless.

So I am thankful that God is sovereign and that we do have a reason for hope in this life!

Thank you for reading,
Jennifer