Friday, February 22, 2013

Healthy Go: Updates, Workout Schedule, Next Steps and More



Hello friends,

 I’ve missed posting for a few weeks now, including the HG posts.

One thing is that I have an idea on how to improve my posts, only I need time to really work on it and I don’t have that kind of time at the moment to really engage in the possibilities and develop them. Another thing is that the online course I’m taking started at the end of January; this is the first (and hopefully last) online course I’m taking and I don’t know how to get my work done if others aren’t doing their work as well, so I’m going to email the instructor this weekend and figure it out.

And then there’s just the stuff of life and personal projects.

I’ve been keeping up pretty okay with the “My Year of Health” project. Still, this is my main journal and these HG posts are my main health writings.


My food and drink intake have been pretty steady. I’m slowly building into moving more. Sometimes I wonder if my body’s just giving out on me; I’m not as young as some might think to look at me or guessing by my taking college courses. I’m certain that some of the hesitation is that I’m psyching myself out, so I’m working on that.
____________________________

For February, I had stated that I would set an exercise schedule and do it, then make adjustments as needed. The schedule is to move purposefully every day with Sunday as my rest day.

More specifically, Monday, Friday, and Saturday are to be gym days; Tuesdays and Thursdays are workout at home days; and Wednesday is an alternate day which I do something, whether at gym or at home, my choice. I like having a little flexibility in anything, or a good balance between rigidity and a flow.


So far, I haven’t been sticking to it too well. I am still thinking of all this as a constant design-build (kind of references something in architecture, my main field of study). For HG, this means that I plan something out, try it out, build it up, and make adjustments as necessary. This is generally how I work on projects, so I don’t know if it would work for everyone. I would recommend it for its ability in forming structure while also personalizing it to what works for each person. I can talk about that more another time.

Back to the moving more, haven’t stuck to it well but I am starting to move more. I’m more aware of having to move more, as opposed to just going through my days and then realizing just before I sleep that I haven’t exercised that day. I’ll still be building it up through March.

When I start getting comfortable in it, I’m thinking the next step up will be to work on adding more structure to the workout schedule. This would be to take the workout days and designate cardio, weights, and sections of the body (upper body, lower body, core).

So this is where I am.
____________________________

The last few days have been rainy and very windy. Today it really got me down and feeling like I might actually be getting sick though I hope not. A lot more people were coughing on the bus today it seemed. I was just feeling like a soaked rat and contemplated chosen baldness today; I was tired of having my hair all crazy blowing in my face and such. My hair’s still not long enough for a proper ponytail.

And my skin’s been very dry for the last few months so all the wind has not been helping it.

Whenever I have worked out, I have felt some good pain in my muscles. I’m not hurting as much as I would like to be, I mean that I can take more and work more. For the time being, I’m getting into it. Pain (other than or opposed to serious injury like taking caution for my weak leg) is not a deterring factor for me; it is welcomed and I’m starting to look forward to it again, having it motivate me.

I’ve had another moment of waking up and getting dressed and as I look in to the mirror, thinking that I’m starting to see and feel positive changes in my body. Next Friday is the day for another measuring day so we’ll see if there are any changes. I’m excited for it.

That’s all the update I can think of for the moment.

I hope you are all healthy and well and moving along on your own Healthy Go journey!

Thank you for reading,
Jennifer