Monday, January 21, 2013

The Good Word: Jacob, Judah, and Jesus


God’s Story plan: current; Genesis 30- Genesis 50
Made to Crave plan: current


Hello!

I have no real insights to share today, just a wondering.

The past week in Genesis has been mostly about Jacob and his wives and his sons. One of these days, I’m going to study this because there is so much in it. Jacob’s story doesn’t just end when he dies; it carries on through his sons and connects with the tribes of Israel that wander in the desert in a certain layout to the tabernacle and so on.

I’ve also been wondering why Jesus comes from Judah’s line and haven’t heard yet a message that talks about it. Reuben was Jacob’s firstborn. Judah was the fourth son. Jacob loved Rachel, so one would think the Savior would come from their union, sort of a “true love” scenario, but Judah was the son of Leah, the unloved wife. (Yes, I watch Once Upon a Time)

Joseph was the great son of Jacob, in a way; he’s taken to Egypt on an injustice done to him, goes to prison twice for things he did not commit, interpret’s Pharoah’s dreams and becomes the manager of all of Egypt. He saved many many people from a 7-year famine.

Yet Jesus doesn’t come from the tribe of Judah. I wonder why. And it may be that I shall never know for God’s ways are beyond my understanding, though this won’t stop me from studying and possibly learning something from it.
____________________________

The Made to Crave plan is going so well. I will definitely have to get the book and read it. Lysa has such insights to what it means that “God is my portion” and body-envy and how limits can set us free.

And the best part is, much of it goes back to the truths of the Bible.

We are not what we eat. We are not what we weigh.

We are the forgiven, accepted, made-new, victorious children of God!

Tomorrow is the last day of the M2C plan.
____________________________

So, week 3 accomplished; I am doing well so far with keeping up. I don’t call this a success because I have the tendency to read a few months well, and then skip a few months, and pick it up later in the year. But so far, so good.

Thank you for reading!