Monday, January 7, 2013

Reading Plans for 2013

This was my morning walk today: rain and darkness. I
always say a prayer for safe travels.

Hello!

Shucks, it’s a new year and I still don’t have a name for my Monday Bible reflections (put that on the Jenn-do list).

Last year, I finished reading the “Old Testament and New Testament” reading plan with the YouVersion Bible app. I read it in the New Living Translation. Before that, I’ve read through in the New International Version.

This year, I have chosen to read through the “Reading God’s Story: One-Year Chronological Plan” in the New King James Version. I always liked the old KJV; it sounds so authoritative and a little mysterious, as if I ought to study a lot more intently should I want to get more out of what God’s saying. I like the idea of that, that I ought to study more intently as a way of honoring the spirit of the text, like it is a real treasure (which I think it is).

In previous readings, I have often wondered how the books read in a chronological manner. I have most often wondered where the stories of Job took place. I would like to have the faith of Job and want to learn more about it; I’m not exactly sure why. I think the fact that it’s a long book, with not much word from God, about having a seriously struggling period, it says things about Satan and his ways, …I just know that there is a lot more to it. I don’t hear a lot of sermons about Job and how it fits into God’s glorious story.

Oh, and what is interesting about this reading plan is that there are readings for 6 days of the week and a rest on the 7th day. Since I began the plan on January 1st, it has it so that every Tuesday is the rest day. It would have been great for these posts if the rest day was Monday, so that I could really reflect and write to you on Mondays, but I’m not going to change the plan or the posting day yet. I’ll see how this goes first.
____________________________

Along with the year-long plan (I need to learn constancy and consistency in it), I will be doing shorter devotional reading plans, maybe one a month. They are of varying lengths and subjects. I saw that YouVersion has some interesting ones written by a few musical artists so I would like to read those. I am still considering going through Lent and there is a reading plan called “Lent for Everyone” that looks interesting in the sample.

I am starting with “Made to Crave: 21 Day Challenge.” I’ve already written about it here: http://bit.ly/XoZ8pP. So far, the author Lysa TerKeurst has been very transparent and insightful in the readings and I am enjoying it. When I am through it, I might go through it a few more times to keep the lessons refreshed to accompany my Healthy Go journey.
____________________________

I could write a seriously long post but I shall end it here for now, just introducing my plans in case anyone didn’t know yet. Feel free to join me in the readings- you could write a comment in the box below if you do!

Or share what reading plan you’re going through!

Thank you for reading and I hope you had a good Monday!