Friday, December 7, 2012

Healthy Go: Cravings vs. Notions


Hello healthy friends!
____________________________

MEASUREMENTS  (one month change, overall; NC= no change; in inches)

Weight:           Unknown
Neck:              13        (NC, -0.25)
Chest:              38.75 (NC, -2)
Arm:               11.25   (-0.25, -1.25)
Forearm:        9.25    (NC, -0.5)
Waist:             33.5    (NC, -1.5)
Hips:               38.5    (-0.5, -2.75)
Thigh:             20.0   (-0.25, -1.25)
Calf:                14       (NC, -0.25)

____________________________
 
I was a little anxious about facing the tape measure this week.

It has been a brutal week health-wise; the last week of classes tends to be. I have been getting better about not procrastinating on assignments, but I still have to learn to pace the larger assignments. I had a paper due Monday morning, then a portfolio and a paper rewrite due on Thursday. I ended up skipping the rewrite and I think I’m going to be regretting that later.

So, sleep-wise, I had maybe 3 hours Sunday night. Then from Wednesday to Thursday, I was basically up for more than 24 hours; I have no idea how I functioned! …because I debated but I did go to both of my classes on Thursday and did not fall asleep in class. I did snooze a little on the bus rides though, but still I didn’t totally knock out until I got home.

In order to last on those minimum-sleep days, I ate small snacks along the way, mostly almonds and the Snapea Crisps. Almonds are a great way to keep one going when a full meal isn’t an option, keeping in mind that this is just until one can get to a regular meal and not that the only thing one eats in a day should be almonds.


It is the holiday season here in the US, which means… Peppermint Mochas! Not really, but I have come to enjoy Peppermint Mochas. I blame it on my friend because he had one and I had to try it. He was so happy about his PM. Now, I have it the Healthy Go way; I order it “skinny,” which is lower calories, no whipped cream. I do miss having the mint chocolate chips on the top, but I’ll just deal with it.

I have also been trying almond milk. So far I’ve only picked up the milk made by Blue Diamond. This was mostly because Dad wants to have more calcium in his diet but not have to take more pills, and he’s lactose intolerant. The almond milk boasts calcium, vitamins D, E, & A, and has no lactose.

The BD milk is called “Almond Breeze.” We’ve tried the chocolate one and the original; they are both good! I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised that the chocolate one had a lot of taste to it. So I think we will try to get the Almond Breeze whenever it’s on sale.

I tempted the fat-status this week with 2 Whoppers. I rarely crave Whoppers, but I have found that when I have a specific craving, it is better for me to deal with it right away. If I try to resist it, the more I do, the more I end up gorging on it. Already, I have no desire to have another Whopper anytime soon.

When I say “craving,” I mean like a strong desire to have something. A lot of times, I just have a notion that I might enjoy something, and that is not a craving. If it’s just a notion, which most of the time it is, then I can go ahead and brush it off. I don’t have to worry about going crazy after it later.

That is probably the main thing I learned this week, to understand the difference between when I’m having a craving versus having a notion, and then to make the best decision either way. The Whopper was a craving, and so it could have easily been 7 of them instead of just the 2 had I tried to ignore it.
____________________________

Next week is finals week. Wish me health!

That’s all I have to say for this HG post. I hope that you are healthy too!

What is your favorite holiday or winter drink?

Thank you for reading!