Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Reflecting Returns

Sunrise: If I find this so beautiful, what will Heaven be like? Beyond imagination.


Hello friends!

It has been over a month since I have posted a Bible reflection. It’s not good to halt on a Bible reading; the Bible best serves the Christian when it is taken in daily doses. However, should halts happen, God has forgiven, and one gets back to it.

I think the last day I had read was August 27. I started back-reading the Sunday before yesterday, October 7th I think; it was sometime last week. I am already up through September 23rd’s readings- that was some chunks of reading.

I should be entirely caught up, again, in about a week and a half.

Let’s keep me to it.

I have read the Old Testament through Song of Solomon chapter 5 and the New Testament through Galatians chapter 3.
____________________________

[present day]
I started this post… last week I think? And then didn’t get around to posting it. I am feeling poorly today and so I thought I might catch up on this update while I take some time at home.

So… now I am caught up through the October 12th readings which were Isaiah 41, 42, and 1 Thessalonians 1. I should be entirely caught up by the end of the week or so, definitely by the end of the month.
____________________________

Again, it’s difficult to do a good and proper reflection on such a chunk of reading. I have visited so many gems in this past week.

I’ll share one with you today that gives me great courage at times. It comes from 2 Corinthians 4:8 & 9 (NKJV):

8 We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;
9 persecuted but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed---

You ought to hear Pastor Herb Lusk speak out these words, calling the congregation at Focus on the Family to have courage that our God is with us. I have a copy of this if you would like to hear it for yourself. It was aired on an episode called “One More Round.”

[Find a transcript of Pastor Lusk’s speech here]
____________________________

Someone might look at me or read this journal and wonder what I’m whining about when I get down on things. I have my family, a roof over my head, food to eat, etc. Even I annoy myself at times.

We all have struggles. Mine happens to be internal most of the time. It does make me stronger when others need strength, and compassionate when others hurt, because I’m so close to my own pain.

Whatever struggle I may go through, I would rather go through it with Jesus than to go through it on my own, because I can’t escape myself, and yet I am not crushed, I am not destroyed.

Sometimes I forget that.  And so I:

…do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
-2 Cor. 4: 16-18 [NKJV; emphasis mine]

I dust myself off and say to God, “Give me one more round!” Thank God for that spot of a fighter’s spirit in me.

____________________________

Are there days when you wonder how you’ll make it through? Is there a situation which seems impossible?

Take it to God. He may not help you the way you want, but he’ll give you what you need to make it through. What have you got to lose to give it a try?

What verse gives you encouragement? What verse gives you comfort in times of struggle?

Thank you for reading!