Friday, October 19, 2012

Healthy Go: Ups and Downs… and Stairs

Dark Chocolate: Trader Joe's Swiss Dark Chocolate,
72% cacao. I have two other d.c. types and trying to find
out which one will be my favorite.

Hello friends!

I didn’t have an HG post last week. I couldn’t think of anything of interest to write about because I felt like I was stalled, and to be honest, I have not been feeling at my best at all.

I haven’t been motivated. I gave in to old cravings a little, not in like an all-out pig-out way, but I was indulging more. I make no attempt at all to hide the fact that I have treats every so often; I post the pictures on this journal. I had one or two treats like every day lately though. I’ve been much more tired than I ought to be; I am certain that it did not have anything to do with the extra treats.

I had a few nights of a few minutes of crying. I’ve been feeling like I’ve needed a good cry, that I’ve wanted to cry, but couldn’t get it out. I had to force myself and so it didn’t last long. I don’t know if I did enough to move on. I think I was just stressed and with a lack of other cathartic exercises and needed to let it out though I have been down lately about a few specific things. I don’t know.

I do want to get drawing and painting. I hope I get to it this weekend, at least a little. It should help elevate my mood.

Oh, and I have been indulging in a little pastry, but more so in dark chocolate. I think I have made the switch from milk chocolate to dark. I don’t know if nutritionally dark is better than milk and all that, but I am enjoying the dark taste more than milk.
____________________________

Anyways, this week, I’m back to trying to keep track of my calories again. I should have done this when I upped my intake.

To be clear, I don’t count every single calorie. I do somewhat track my calories in a casual, not-exact way. I do this just so that I have an idea of what I’m eating, where my calories are coming from, what vitamins and nutrients I might want to supplement because I’m not getting enough in my diet (food intake, not program), my water intake, etc.

I use http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ as a tool; so far I have not been obsessive about it. The part that keeps me non-obsessive is that I am too lazy to go find out the exact calories of the exact brands that I am eating if it is not already in the system, so I estimate sometimes. A lot of the local foods I eat are often missing from the database so I make the best guess of the calories.

All I want to know is that I’m not eating 10,000 calories more than I ought to be eating.

My friend Janette shared the My Fitness Pal site with me (thank you Janette!).

You can even track your physical activities and be more social about your fitness goals as well.

If you are interested in connecting with me, finding more encouragement, you may find my MFP profile here [http://www.myfitnesspal.com/XanthChameleon]
____________________________

I have been trying to get in some unnecessary stair time during my days, here and there. All of my classes are ground floor, so during my break between classes (Tuesdays and Thursdays), I will visit a staircase and do unnecessary stairs. This past Thursday, I went up and down 2 flights of stairs 4 times in 4 minutes. I don’t know if that’s a good pace or not, and I was in long jeans that day, so I did get a little winded by that 8th flight and decided that was good for the day. As Mom would’ve said, it was 8 more flights of stairs than the day before.

I should’ve taken a picture of the stairs for this post; it would have gone better with the title but I don’t often think about the title until I’m about ready to post entries. Maybe I should think about better coordination of title and title picture (always looking to improve things *wink*).


And while I’m on physical topics, I am a little concerned about my junk knee. I was in bed one night and moved and thought that I had felt another but smaller pop. I still feel an odd ache but I have not noticed any swelling in my knee or the rest of my leg, so for now I’m just monitoring how it feels, as I usually do.
____________________________

I’m looking into getting a full length mirror for my room. The only time I’ve had one was when I lived in Oregon; my apartment room had one, probably left over from the previous tenant. I appreciated it, as I’m not bright in the morning and might wear something with an unmentionable static-cling-ed to my clothes; it could happen. Also, I remember it helped me be more mindful of making healthy efforts and tracking how I look from month to month.

This past week, I was washing my hands in a public restroom and I looked up into the mirror. I just noticed that I wasn’t looking too poorly in my clothes. Then I went home and looked at my hips, my… area of intention for now, and tried to see if I could detect any changes. I think I’m starting to see the improvements, maybe.

Which brings me to the current goal update of the grey shorts: I am yet getting closer to fitting those shorts! It is getting to be a more comfortable fit.

So that tells me that I might get down, I might indulge a little and get somewhat off-track, but I can trust myself a little more that I will get back on track, that I will not entirely sabotage the good improvements that I am making because I’m seeing the benefits.
____________________________

Thank you for being with me on this journey to health all this time or whenever you’ve joined me! Even though I rarely receive comments directly on this journal, I do get notices on Facebook from my friends there and I appreciate all of you, on FB or here and from wherever you are and however you know me!

What’s your Healthy Go story? Let me know in the comment box below!

Mahalo for visiting and reading!