Monday, August 20, 2012

Day 233: Human Wisdom

Wow, most of the year is over!

Last week’s readings: Psalm 89-106, Romans 14-16, and 1 Corinthians 1-3.
Status: I am current with the reading plan.

This is a good reading time for me as I enjoy reading the questioning yet trusting heart in Psalms and then also the loving yet matter-of-fact qualities in Paul’s letters to the churches.
____________________________

I have been going back and forth about deactivating my Facebook account. One of the reasons for deactivation is the meanness and outright disrespect going around, particularly in the political and/or religious postings.

I’m all for having one’s opinion and expressing it, but I’m not interested in all the posts that are more like shout matches, or the rude and sometimes insensitive comments that people make. Whatever happened to open (and respectful) debate? Whatever happened to hearing both sides and making informed decisions? I guess Facebook and other such social sites are not so conducive to open debates, though I have not had much good debate experiences in “real life” situations either.

One of the main reasons for keeping my Facebook? Shopping deals! Haha, yes, but more so, I think about the potential for reaching out to people about the Christian faith. What is shown by many of the Facebook posts that have the ability to get under my skin is the misunderstanding that goes on about the Christian faith. I get it too, because there are many things about the faith that keeps me questioning, and I won’t ever have all the answers in this world.

I am not the very model of a Christian individual. I make mistakes, I have my rash reactions, I am rarely as loving as I ought to be. Yet, someday, or some moments, God might use me to be an ambassador of Christ… even possibly through Facebook. Who knows?

Anyways, on Facebook and in person, there is a good probability of coming across some arrogance. I generally enjoy hanging around with smart people because of the great potential of learning something new or of being corrected about a fact.

What I do not enjoy is when someone talks down to me. I highly resent being talked down to. I know a lot of people who are way above me in intelligence yet do not talk down to me. I try to learn from them how to do that, because I am not immune to arrogance either.
____________________________

1 Corinthians 18-25~
[18] The message of the cross is foolish to those who are headed for destruction! But we who are being saved know it is the very power of God.
[19] As the scriptures say, “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise and discard the intelligence of the intelligent.”
[20] So where does this leave the philosophers, the scholars, and the world’s brilliant debaters? God has made the wisdom of this world look foolish.
[21] Since God in his wisdom saw to it that the world would never know him through human wisdom, he has used our foolish preaching to save those who believe.
[22] It is foolish to the Jews, who ask for signs from heaven. And it is foolish to the Greeks, who seek human wisdom.

[23] So when we preach that Christ was crucified, the Jews are offended and the Gentiles say it’s all nonsense.
[24] But to those called by God to salvation, both Jews and Gentiles, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God.

[25] This foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest of human plans, and God’s weakness is stronger than the greatest of human strength.
____________________________

I would like to sound wise, or better yet, to actually be wise. How much fun would that be, am I right?

I think about how much ministry I could do or how well I could do it. I think about how I could have a wise response when someone asks a question of faith. I think about how I might respond to those Facebook comments about the Christian faith. I think about how someone might stumble onto my blog and start wondering about this faith.

Yet I am unwise in most respects.

You know. You’re reading this post and might have read previous posts in which I have been unintelligible. You might be a fellow believer yet think that I am not representing the faith well, or you might be an unbeliever and think I’m foolish for believing.

It’s okay because what the 1 Corinthians passage is saying to me at this time is that I don’t have to have all the answers. I don’t have to have the correct and wise response to those Facebook posts. It’s all in God’s plan about who believes and who doesn’t, or about who comes to believe and when and how.

Man, that takes the pressure off of me! I often start to prepare a post, maybe spend hours on it, only to not post it because it isn’t great or funny or wise or exactly how I want it, etc.

I, as believer, ought to keep trusting and following God. And in that, allow him to prepare me for use in his plan.

The wonderful thing is that God can use even my unwise moments to show someone else God’s glory.
____________________________

I’m not sure what to say after that as a closing. I hope that you are well. You are welcome to leave a comment in the box below. I appreciate you taking the time to read this post, as always but I like saying it again every so often (“repetition is key!”- who knows where I learned that from?).

Again, thank you for reading and may you have a good week!