Monday, July 2, 2012

Monday 184


I wanted to be caught up by July. I don’t know why but that’s what I like to do when I get behind in reading, be caught up by the mid-year.

I did it! Well... not quite. I am caught up to YESTERDAY! So I WILL be caught up in next week’s update and yay because then hopefully I’ll have more reflective things to share.

The current readings are in Job for the Old Testament and Acts for the New Testament. It’s an interesting read, for reading about Job who lost all and his friends weren’t very encouraging and then reading about the beginnings of the Christian community and miracles by the Apostles in Acts. It’s like reading about the worst that can happen and then getting a reminder of the BEST thing that has happened.

____________________________

A great feature of the YouVersion Bible app is that you can make notes, bookmarks, and highlights of different colors. I love this because I would sometimes write in my paper Bible and not have space, or I can’t read what I wrote later, and so the app Bible is handy for writing complete sentences to paragraphs and such for notes.

One note I made was regarding Nehemiah 9:26 in the Old Testament- “But despite all this, they were disobedient and rebelled against you. They turned their backs on your Law, they killed your prophets who warned them to return to you, and they committed terrible blasphemies.” [NLT]

This is in the Old Testament, after the exile of Israel. Nehemiah is one of the Israel leaders to bring back the remnant to Jerusalem and rebuild the Temple. The people have gathered to confess their sins, listening to the Book of the Law of the Lord being read, and worshipped God.

The leaders of the Levites call out to the people and they pray, going through the history between God and his people, their ancestors. Verse 26 is a part of this prayer.

I made a note of verse 26 because it brought to mind the Parable of the Evil Farmers, in Mark 12 and Luke 20 of the New Testament. I will let you read that on your own, along with Nehemiah 9. I will just remark that I understood who the owner’s son represented, but wasn’t sure who the owner’s servants were to be until coming across the passage in Nehemiah 9. If I understand correctly, the servants are the prophets.

Again, I am not a Bible scholar. This is where I am in my current understanding, along this part of my journey, and hope to understand more and more each time I read and as I carry on in my journey. So if you have another or more understanding of the Parable of the Evil Farmers [isn’t that a harsh title], please let me know in the comment section below!
____________________________

Anyways, I hope that shows that reading the Bible every day, repeatedly, is a valuable practice for the Christian in their journey. One will come across new insights to help one along one’s way. Things one learned in the first read-through will be added to in the next read-through. Even Christian greats whom we often admire, like Billy Graham or Pastor Tommy Nelson, advocate that one ought to read the Bible daily and considering their knowledge of the Bible and Christian life, I believe they practice what they speak.

Another thing to note is that oftentimes, the Old Testament doesn’t seem to have a connection to the New Testament other than that one happens after another on a timeline. However, the Old Testament is just as important as the New Testament and should both be read by the Christian wanting to grow in their faith. For the God-curious and the new Christian, start with the NT in the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, but as you go on in your journey, read the OT sometime.

In time, I’m sure that one will find that the God of the OT is the same God of the NT. It’s a blessing for us that we are living after Jesus’ resurrection.

How are you doing in your Bible readings? Which book of the Bible are you in?

Thank you for reading!