Friday, July 27, 2012

Healthy Go: Inner Health


I love being a female, yet if I were to envy guys one thing, it would be their athletic ability. I want a chance to be a ninja. I’ve been watching too much American Ninja Warrior and seeing what those guys can do. I am amazed.

Plus, if I were a guy, it’d be a bit easier to lose the excess fat but I won’t complain. It just means I have a tougher challenge and I’m not one to balk from a challenge, usually. I am on my specific journey for a reason.

What is also exciting and inspiring are the Summer Olympics, coming up! I will definitely be watching the swimming and the gymnastics competitions. I might also watch soccer and some of the lesser-hyped events. I haven’t looked up the programming schedules yet.

I watched the swimming trials and if I could be an Olympian, I would’ve wanted to be like Dara Torres, fit and going strong at 40. So what if she didn’t make a team this year? She gave these young people a good scare!

We still get to see Natalie Coughlin this year, and I’m excited to see how Cammile Adams does in the 200 fly- she uses a side-breathing technique that is hardly done with the fly and she was one of the fastest at the trials. And I’ll be watching Lochte.

However, I am not a male Olympic Ninja. I am who I am.

They do help to motivate me to move more though. Just to think that is what a ninja or an Olympian can do, that is the athletic best of the human physique, I can do a few more pushups or mountain climbers, etc. I can drink more water, I can eat more vegetables.
____________________________

Inner health is so important to outer health.

It feels like I’m struggling just to stay at level and so easily knocked down low. It’s frustrating because I wasn’t always like this. I think I used to be able to control my emotions better. Not that I think I was ever a happy-go-lucky kind of person, but I don’t remember struggling as much as I am now.

I used to be a fighter; maybe not physically, but in spirit definitely. I miss being a fighter.

So Wednesday saw me in tears again. I was having an okay day, feeling a little good about something I was able to do when I met some unknowing criticism that shut me down. Sigh. It wasn’t as bad of a cry as last week. Yet, I kept to myself the rest of the day.

I don’t want people thinking I can’t handle criticism. I’m just… struggling for now. It won’t always be like this, right?

I have been reading Lisa Bevere’s “Be Angry but Don’t Blow It.” I don’t think I’m an angry person either, I don’t think anyone would suggest that I need anger management, but there is still specific pain from the last few years that I am dealing with, and it seems I am to figure out how to deal with it on my own.

I have been the listening ear and leaning shoulder for a friend though he/she was hesitant at first. I told my friend that I would rather be the one my friend can talk to than to have my friend feel like he/she has no one to talk to, to feel like he/she is all alone in whatever is painful to him/her.

If it were up to me, I would have no one feel like they’re all alone.

I’m going to cut that off there for now or this will become a whole different post. I will move on to say that I tabbed so many passages in “Be Angry ---.” I was on chapter 13 on Wednesday; it was on “Letting It Go.” Reading that chapter, I started to cry, but it was a good cry this time.

So the whole day wasn’t all bad. I didn’t exercise on Wednesday- wasn’t motivated, as one can imagine, and my stomach was upset about something too. My stomach was still a little iffy on Thursday.

It’s something to work on: more constancy, even through adversity and pain. If I used to be like that, I should be able to get there again, right?
____________________________

I did two set workouts this week. Otherwise, I tried to keep moving when I could- I pushed the cart at Sam’s Club, I “danced” with my cat, etc. My left leg is still achy though and I had a few shocks that felt like it’s getting worse. I don’t know if that’s a good sign or a bad sign.

Here are the set workouts I did-

Saturday- Insane Home Fat Loss: International Love Workout
3 rounds of 4 exercises, 10 reps each exercise
#: 10, 3s, 10, 10
Notes- They didn’t say the names of the exercises but it was mainly focused on shoulders, back, and glutes, I think. The 3s was on the exercise that I wasn’t so familiar with so I did lower weights and concentrated on having good form. It was a good workout, I could feel it in my movement.

Monday- BodyRock.Tv: Hard and Strong Workout
2 rounds of 4 exercises, as many reps as able in 50 second intervals
Sumo squats, plank knee touch, sandbag swing, plank hops
#: 20, na, 10, na
Notes- Another good workout. The video shows one round, and then repeat video for consecutive rounds. I was tired after 2 rounds.

Thursday, I started another IHFL workout but that’s when my stomach felt iffy, so I stopped after the first exercise.
____________________________

This week’s stats----
Weight: no weigh in
Size: easier 10
Activity:  starting to move more, looking to increase
Food: maintaining calorie goal; looking to eat healthier foods in general
Liquids: H2O 48+ oz. (looking to increase); 1 soda

Current Goal----
To fit into the size 10 dress comfortably. [no dress fitting this week]
____________________________

I probably fit the dress already; it’s hard to tell when I’m trying to zip it up myself but the zipping is getting easier. I don’t have a scale at home anymore and I haven’t gone anywhere to weigh myself.

I’m going to see how it is with no sodas this week and try to have less juices/more water as well.

This coming week, I also want to see if I can push myself a little more, get in more of those workouts… and put in gym time.

Sigh. Wish me luck in the comment section below!

Mahalo for reading.