Friday, July 20, 2012

Healthy Go: Funk and BodyRocking


This week, I was in a funk. Nothing was really wrong; in fact, I had a few good days where I was setting up and writing pre-posts for this blog and had successful errand trips.

Every so often, I get a sense that something is wrong or out of order. I’m not saying I’m like an antennae to the universe or anything like that. I just get a strong sense of strangeness. Sometimes I’m right, other times wrong, and mostly it’s a vague sense.

That didn’t tell you anything, did it? I have a strong or sensitive intuition that kicks in sometimes. No, I can’t tell you where to put your chips at the roulette table, or I’d be rich right now.

I just wasn’t motivated for anything. Wednesday night, I broke down and had a bad cry. Not a good cry, a bad one.

The upside to all of that is… can there be an upside (?)… I didn’t sabotage my diet. I only had one soda for the whole week which hopefully means I will be off soda completely soon. I drank at least 2 bottles of water a day (48 oz.), and some days I had 3 (72 oz.). I ate pretty much the same stuff I have been eating for the past month and hovering  +/- 200 calories around the daily calorie goal.

I did want to pig out on corned beef hash yesterday but decided to portion it out and save the rest for another time instead.

I’m still not close to eating as healthy as I would like to but at least after a month and a half, I have not gone backwards with eating. Whatever cravings I’ve had, they have not been that strong and I was able to deal with them in a healthier way than before.
____________________________

In the previous update, I mentioned that I was going to start working in workouts for this healthy endeavor. Well, as said earlier, I couldn’t get myself motivated….

I only worked out on Thursday; otherwise I just did a little walking around. I typically type these updates for the period of Friday to Thursday, and post on Friday. Thursday, I did some 2-minute planks and then I tried to BodyRock for the first time.

Well, it’s not exactly for the first time, as I’ve watched videos here and there and would use certain exercises on my own, but this was the first time I watched a workout through and just did it at the same time- the full thing all together and without any extra pausing.

This is the workout I did on Thursday:
I Can Only Imagine Workout - BodyRock.TV
___

It took me just a little while to get into the rhythm and coordination of the butterfly. This is why I generally stay away from aerobic stepping and such; it will take me about 20 seconds to get into the groove and then it’s on to the next combination already. The butterfly wasn’t too bad as I followed her rhythm.

The burpees I pretty much skipped both rounds. I did jumping jacks instead. At the moment, burpees feel strange for my lame leg. My foot and knee tends to ache afterwards. I am working on this though because the Jillian Michaels DVD has burpees in it as well. I don’t always baby my lame leg, I want it to be just as strong as the right, but the knee area has been aching and twitching for about a week.

The toe touches went well.

I don’t have a UGI ball so I was just on the floor, straight armed (but not locked). I did straight mountain climbers for the whole section to keep pressure off of my left toe (the one with the nail that digs into the flesh).

For the seated raise, I used 3# dumbbells. I only have a 3# pair and a 10# pair at home. The 3 worked fine for this exercise for now.

I also used the 3# for the woodchop.
___

It was a good workout. I did sweat, though not as much as the JM DVD gets me sweating. I was breathing heavy and I could feel my muscles get tired. I really couldn’t wait for the second set of mountain climbers to be over!

I also did 2 sets of 12 un-pretty pushups to make up for missing the burpees. It was definitely not the best pushups I’ve ever done.

I think I will continue trying out the BodyRock.TV workouts to give variety to the JM DVDs or anything else that I do. I do mainly cardio at the gym, but I would also like to lift weights too so if you’d like to help me in that area, give me a sign!
_________________________

I need to look into getting more workout clothes. I don’t really have any shorts that are good for wearing at the gym, ones that won’t make me self-conscious that my underwear might be showing.

More importantly, I could use some new sports bras. And tops. I wear my bras to the death and then some. Usually, as they get worn out, I wear them for around the house, at night, getting ready for bed, to sweat in while I clean, etc. I have too many of the worn out ones and not enough of the to-wear-out ones that actually give support.

Speaking of clothes, my used-to-be-loose shorts are starting to get loose again! Yay! I might be moving slowly, but at least there have been small signs that I’m moving in the right direction.
____________________________

This week’s stats----
Weight: no weigh in
Size: easier 10
Activity:  I Can Only Imagine video
Food: maintaining calorie goal; looking to eat healthier foods in general
Liquids: H2O 48+ oz. (looking to increase); 1 soda

Current Goal----
To fit into the size 10 dress comfortably. [no dress fitting this week]
____________________________
Insert encouragements in the comment area below and tell me what is your current Healthy Go endeavor?

Thank you for reading!