Friday, July 6, 2012

Healthy Go : Food & Drink


In these Healthy Go updates, I know I’ve been talking mostly about food and drink.

I don’t know exactly why, if it’s that I’m sharing my progress with you, or because I’m old now, or whatever else, but I feel like I’m being more real and serious about this particular weight loss journey.

Food and drink has always been my weak spot in past healthy endeavors. I would pretty much always eat what I want and drink what I want. Sometimes what I wanted was something healthy, but others times it’s not.

Even when I got off of soda for that year and some, I still drank juice more than I would water. I always had it in my mind that I had to have really ice cold water or flavored water for me to enjoy it. I definitely drink a lot of my empty extra calories.
____________________________

Before, exercise was my friend. When I get into it, I really get into it; as far as the exercises I know and am comfortable with, I can get pretty intense about it.

In high school, my mom once worried that I had an eating disorder because I was skinny and she never saw me eat. But in high school, I was active- marching band, walking distances if I needed to, volleyball in the summers, etc.

My weight really started gaining on me during my last relationship years ago. That was when I was going to the gym regularly in the mornings. Then I met that boyfriend and he was into keeping fit as well. I remember him joking that he would be very sad if I were to get nicer abs than him.

And because I was exercising a lot, he would feed me a lot. Whenever he cooked, he would give me the same portions as he was eating …and I ate it all. He was a good cook.

After the break up, I just kept eating. The exercise portion would come and go, and come and go, and so on.

I don’t mean to blame my past relationship; it was more than that. That’s just when I started really losing control of what I ate. I think that’s when I started to emotionally eat; before then, I was more likely to emotionally starve myself.
____________________________

I’ve noticed now, on this journey, that what I intake is just as important as exercise, maybe more so. What you eat really makes a difference, and I don’t think I understood that as well as I am getting to this time.

It's not that I didn't know that food made a difference; I just didn't follow it.

As I’ve mentioned before, I feel better right off the bat for having had healthier foods. Mainly, I think it has to do with not having to deal with any of the guilt of “oh, I can’t believe I just ate that!” and such. Then secondly, it’s that healthy food is just good for our bodies.

Also, I don’t know if I’ll be able to be physically active until the day I die, but I will most likely be eating long past the moment when my body gives out. If I can manage eating healthy now, I will be setting a better future for myself.
____________________________

With that being said, I did have a bit of craving this week for… BACON. I just wanted it! I had to wake up early one day to take Dad in to work, so on the way back home I picked up a supreme croissant breakfast from Jack-in-the-Box, with orange juice. It was so good!

I ate healthier the rest of the day.

I have started to like drinking water- plain, unflavored, slightly chilled water! I have to thank my friend Holla for that. Her encouragement did the trick, I think! MAHALO HOLLA!

So, I have gotten in 2 bottles everyday, which is 48 ounces using my pink Intak Hydration Bottle by Thermos (recommended by Aya, and now me; comes in other colors ). I know that 48 ounces isn’t much, but it’s 48 ounces more than I was getting before. I think I might get another Intak bottle to have one at home and one to travel with me.

For honesty sake, I only had 24 ounces yesterday. It was a weirdly short day for me, due to allergies and other goof-ities. I woke up late and slept early, so I wasn’t awake enough to drink more water. I also wasn’t awake enough to eat much.

I am down to two sodas in the last week. I’m still enjoying salads every so often. I also like the spinach and cheese wrap that they have at Jamba Juice; I think I will figure out how to make it at home. The past three weeks, I’ve made Wednesday my Jamba Juice for one meal day. I still enjoy the Snapea Crisps- the local store has had them on sale for the past couple weeks so I’ve bought bags and bags of them!

And half a brownie this week for a little sweet treat. I also slowly ate up the M&Ms from Shelly’s wedding favor.

So, I am feeling quite GOOD about what I’ve been eating and drinking. I think I will be able to sustain the healthiness of it and just look into changing it up a little with other healthy stuff. I ought to have a little more lean protein in my diet. I’m looking forward to having more fruits and veggies as well.

Just imagine what’s going to happen when I gear up the exercise portion of this journey! … Which I am about to do this week!
____________________________
 
This week’s stats----
Weight: no weigh in
Height: Still short
Size: tight 10
Activity: (looking to increase)
Food: healthier! +
Liquids: H2O + 48 oz/day (looking to increase); 2 sodas

Current Goal----
To fit into the size 10 dress comfortably: I tried it on today and it’s getting more comfortable but it’s still tight, especially in the bust.

Measurements----
Very little embarrasses me, so here’s to getting more real… see picture, adopted from “24 Hour Fitness Solutions: The Journal (2005)” [Click on picture for a larger view]
____________________________

What is your current Healthy Go endeavor?

Mahalo for reading and LET’S GET HEALTHY!