Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Beauty Spotlight on Solia Flat Iron


Solia 1" Ceramic Tourmaline Flat Iron

Hola’migos!

My hair is naturally thick, wavy, and unruly! If I sleep with my hair in its natural state, it will be frizzy and tangled up like crazy. To help tame this rebel hair, I straighten it.
____________________________

I’ll get to the Solia in a minute, but first I’d like to give a little background. I can be quite frugal about certain things. I used to be very frugal about all things hair. I mean, it’s amazing if I get my hair cut more than once in a year. It’s not even like I go to a pricey salon to get a haircut either; my haircuts cost about $10 + tip.

I used to get my hair tools from the local drugstore, mostly Conair brand stuff, but I had a Revlon flat iron that worked well enough for me. When that one quit on me, I got another Revlon flat iron. The second one was a total lemon of flat irons- it died in 5 months. While I looked around for a replacement, I also looked up reviews of the Revlon and others complained of the same thing, that the particular model didn’t last long at all.

It had worked really well. It just died too soon for me.
____________________________

I finally decided that it was worth it to spend more money for a good flat iron. I straighten my hair frequently, about 3 or 4 times a week, especially when I have classes or events or will be seeing friends.

I had heard good things about the flat iron that Chi makes, but it was quite pricey. I shopped around and watched/ read reviews.

After months of research, I settled on the Solia Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron; I got mine from Folica.com and it came with a heat proof pouch. I got the 1-1/4”, but there are more sizes; the 1-1/4” iron comes in different colors too.

I’m sure it was on sale when I got it- I got it years ago so I don’t have the notes on exactly how much but I believe the total was around $75 w/s&h. My parents helped me out and counted this as my birthday present!

I’ve been meaning to write about this several times before and wouldn’t you know, I’ve had it for about 3 years now and just getting to the write up. It is still going strong so I would say that it was well worth the money!
____________________________

Features and Use:

The plates are Ceramic Tourmaline. I have used it with my hair still damp and it has not done further damage to my hair; my hair comes out shiny, healthy-looking and dry (I do use a heat-protect spray from the salon). My hair is thick and I have a lot of it yet the Solia allows me to dry and straighten my hair in about 30 minutes.

The highest heat setting is 450° F. I use it around 320°; it reaches that heat in about 15 seconds- the light near the heat dial will flash when it’s reached the setting. Usually I turn it on, spray my hair with heat-protect, and the flat iron is ready to go.

Heat-setting dial, ready LED light, and on/off switch

It has a swivel cord which is handy; as one moves to different sections of hair, the cord doesn’t get tangled.

The swivel cord
 The site page says that this 1-1/4” flat iron is versatile to bend, flip, spiral, and curl hair. I haven’t used it for anything but straightening, so I can’t say how well it does the other things, but perhaps that might be a deciding factor for someone else for which size to get.
____________________________


The Solia Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron is still available through Folica.com and it still comes with the heat proof pouch offer and a 2 year extended warranty.

Heat proof pouch- included in some orders
The pouch has a section to keep the cord neat also- it
doesn't get tangled with other cords in the drawer where I
keep the flat iron.

I highly recommend this flat iron. Let me know if you decide to get one and how well you like it or not!

Thank you for reading.

P.S. Please excuse the cat hair on the pouch- I did the best I could to keep it cat-hair free!