Monday, June 11, 2012

Monday 163


I don’t have a collective title for the Monday posts yet. 163 just comes from the day of the year I ought to be on. If you have a suggestion, let me know in the comment area at the end of the post!

I am on the Old Testament and New Testament one-year Bible reading plan through the YouVersion app on my Kindle.

Today is day 163 of 366 and the readings scheduled are Ezra 3-5 and John 20.

As one can see, most of the days’ readings are going to be a few chapters in the Old Testament and a chapter in the New Testament. I don’t know how I like this particular plan yet. I will say that it is quite interesting to read the “old” stuff and then be reminded of where all that old stuff is leading towards in the New Testament. This time around, I’m recognizing the OT prophecies about Jesus more than I did before, and then I get to read about how they became fulfilled through Jesus.

As I’ve mentioned before, I am behind on the reading; I was about 2 months behind. Today, I am up through the readings for May 13th, which was 2 Kings 19-21 and is about 1 month behind at this point so I’m doing well in catching up. Late 2 Kings is about the time when the Israelites are going into exile, the King of Judah is following the Lord, and it is the time of the prophet Isaiah.

This is the second time that I’m reading through the Bible. The first time was a few years ago and in the New International Version. I am reading the New Living Translation now. It is a little more readable than the NIV; I still like the NIV but I think reading the NLT has opened a few new insights for me. I’m constantly creating notes for myself as I read on.

I thought I would share a note I wrote from what I read through in the last week and there isn’t anything really share-worthy. Mostly the past week I’ve written a lot of questions, a lot of “what does this mean?” One can imagine, that is a frequent question while reading the Bible.

Here are a few links to posts about my first Bible read-through that I think are interesting and might share a tip or two or an encouragement that speaks to you.

I reread them myself and… I miss me from back then! I am glad that I wrote those posts because they are an encouragement to me this time around. Is that weird? My past me, who was in a much better all-around place than the me now, is encouraging myself. Did that even make sense? I could use all the encouragement I can get at this point, just in general life, and if it must come from myself… hey, so be it.

If you were to read just one of the old posts, I would suggest that second one, “Such Thin Pages.” Of course, I’d appreciate it if you read all 3 of them, but this one was my favorite to write. I think it will be an encouragement for you if you’re also trying to get through the Bible. It’s a little reflective of how one reads the Bible a page at a time and how that relates to our lives, living it one day at a time.

That is all for this post. As always, feel free to leave a comment or question in the comment area below!

Thank you for reading!