Monday, June 18, 2012

Into The Good Book: Day 170


Ugh, I woke up today and felt like I had sludge for brains. The sick-sounding person sat next to me, the same sick person who got me sick last time and I was a sweating slug for 2 weeks. Please pray for people’s health!

I am still in catch-up mode. I missed reading anything on Saturday- I had a friend’s shower, and then I hung out with my sweet friend Rachel the rest of the night.

In my last update, I was up through May 13th. I am currently caught up through May 27th, so I read 2 week’s worth in 1 week- not bad. I was hoping to have read further but this is the King David and King Solomon passages of which I find fascinating. This was mainly in The Chronicle books, not the same or as exciting as The Chronicles of Narnia but still quite interesting.

I mean, King David, the mighty warrior, the poet, the dancer, the shepherd, was there anything in which he could not be successful? And then to have a son like Solomon, one whom it must’ve been difficult for David to imagine considering how David and Bathsheba came together. When one is in anguish over having sinned against God, it must be difficult to imagine receiving more blessings after.

Then there is the king that Solomon became. To ask for wisdom at a young age, and for the sake of the people, not for his own ambitions…. Today we marvel at such thinkers like Stephen Hawking or still of Albert Einstein and the like, Solomon was and is yet the wisest man that ever lived or will live. I don’t know, I’m not quite so smart so I have absolutely no idea what that must have been like.
____________________________

On that note, I don’t have any deep insights to share at this point. Well, maybe this could be one…. I was talking recently with a friend about grievances we have with people and patience- in general- we talked about a lot of things.

For example, I think of people I don’t like (there aren’t many at all) or the habits of others that I don’t like, that I think are… rude or improper. I don’t mean things that I think are so simply in my opinion but things that ought to apply for all persons, as in stealing- I can’t think that anyone would see stealing as a virtue, something that all persons should take part in stealing at all or on a regular basis.

The thing is, even if I am aware of the sin or “bad habit,” let’s say, of another person, I can still have grace and patience with that person because I don’t know that God is not working in that person about that “bad habit.” It could be that the person is not ready to face the habit and gain self-control regarding it. Their time has not yet come.

John 9 was a part of my readings for last week. Jesus heals a man whom was born blind. The Pharisees questioned the man. The man testified that Jesus had healed him. So in verse 24, the Pharisees say, “God should get the glory for this, because we know this man Jesus is a sinner.” [NLT].

The now-seeing man replies, “I don’t know whether he is a sinner but I know this: I was blind, and now I can see!” [v. 25]

The Pharisees were trying to trap Jesus in something, anything! They were judging Jesus for a sin that they could not find, that no one could find, because it wasn’t even there. That’s easy for me to say, yes, because I’ve read the whole book, I know what happens later.

Where was I going with this? Let me try- let us not be like the Pharisees, so desiring to find the faults in others in order that we might judge them. Whether we know of another person’s sin or not, and we know there is sin somewhere because none of us are Jesus, let us yet have grace with each other. Let us not go around spreading the fault in order to gather up more judges. If it is God’s will that we do so, let us step in to lovingly admonish the person towards better and send up a prayer to God on our behalf- “our” because I’m a sinner too.

I’ve had things said behind my back, gossip. I’ve had sin I ought to confess, I’m not perfect, but I was not going to confess to my accusers because their intentions were not good. They simply wanted to find anything they could to get me out of my position. Same happened to my friend, and we are both still hurting from those experiences. In both cases, the accusers did not come to us directly.

I pray that I remember the heart of the blind man, to not find fault where there is none, or we might miss the joy of having someone’s sight restored.
____________________________

Take that for what it’s worth. I’m not a Bible scholar by any means, yet I hope I’m on the path of one. That is my simple understanding of that small passage, guided by my own experiences.

If you have any insights, please leave it in the comment area below.

Also, are you reading through the Bible too? How are you doing with your readings? Are there insights from your studies that you would like to share?

Thank you for reading and may you have several blessings this week (and I mean that whether you are a believer or not)!


*Pssst- have you checked out YouVersion yet?