Friday, June 22, 2012

Healthy Go [June 22, 2012]


This week’s update is a little bit of bad and a little bit of good.

Bad news: events and get-togethers with lots of good bad food!
Good news: I didn’t indulge too much in the good bad food.

My friend’s getting married this week and so there has been the bridal shower and the bachelorette party, and then my other friend Rachel has been around so I hung out with her as much as I could.

We also went out for a delayed Father’s Day dinner at Outback Steakhouse. I really wanted the steak and lobster combo but opted for the healthier Norwegian salmon with vegetables. I only ate about half of it so I’ll have the other half later this week for another healthy meal.

Yesterday wasn’t very healthy. I went to a Bible study in the morning with Rachel and some of her friends. It was a good study. They’re going through Beth Moore’s study on David. Beth Moore’s insights on the Bible are just wonderful. I learn so much whenever she speaks and I tend to remember what she talked about too.

Then we went to the pool and hung out there for hours. I haven’t hung out at the pool in ages! The day was beautiful, hardly a cloud in the sky and yet there was a gentle breeze so it wasn’t blazing hot. The water was good and soft too! It was half-salt water and half-chlorine - I didn’t know that they did pools like that.

In lieu of a bikini by the pool shot,
here's Rachel and I doing a very little
shopping!
So good news: I did keep moving whenever I was in the water! Even when we were standing there and talking, I made sure my arms and/or my legs were in constant motion. I did a couple laps too, getting back the feel of my rhythm and strokes again- ahhhh, I was so happy! It felt so good to be in the water again!

Background: I used to swim a lot, took lifeguard training with my friend, and took a swim class at the University. I dream about swimming, literally in my dreams, I am swimming. I should start going to the beach and swimming the AM length until I can do it without breaks… that would be good training.

The worst food I ate this week: Susan cookies from Safeway. It’s a shortbread type cookie with a chocolate cream on top. I had about 5 or 6 of them- that is about 3 or 4 more than I had planned on.

Good news: did not have any pastries at home. No pianomo rolls. No Apple Napples. I didn't really miss them.

Mom somehow got two gallons of 2% from somewhere. We don’t usually buy milk because Dad and I are lactose intolerant. She gave one to her friend and then I said I’d drink the other one. I don’t know why but when she told me, I thought she said half-gallon. Oh well. I am halfway through the gallon myself. I sometimes snack on Cheerios, so I had that for lunch one day. Actually, now that I think of it, my stomach didn’t get too upset about the milk.

My water intake wasn’t consistent across the days, but I did get in more water than last week, which is good.

I weighed myself at my friend’s house this week. Taking into account that my brother’s scale might be calibrated just a little differently from my friend’s one, and that I weighed myself at different times of the day, the difference is 2 pounds but to be safe I’ll say that I lost at least 1 pound in the last two weeks. Well, I’ll take it!
____________________________

The biggest difference this past week has been my mindset. No, I didn’t get to the gym, but I have noticed that just the small changes I’ve been making in my food choices have been good for my thinking. I feel better just knowing that I put more good things in my body than I was before. I’m starting to feel better about myself in general, getting some of that confidence back that I used to have.

I didn’t deal with any guilt of having loads of junk because I’ve cut back on the junk quite a bit. I didn’t even feel that guilty for having the cookies, and I am very sensitive to guilt. I will guilt myself to death, which is why no one can give me the guilt trip because I am master on that point.

I didn’t struggle with craving junk stuff. Even my desire for soda is slowly fading away. I’m not missing the soda on the days that I didn’t have any.

And so, like I mentioned last time I think, even if you decide to make one small change a week or however you’re doing it, do it. Good change is good whether or not it’s deciding to drink more water or to go big and totally clean out your food storage of all junk and exercising a lot. Some people need to go all out from the start and others need to make sure one change sticks before adding on another change. YET DO IT ANYWAY.

Also, do not undo the good changes that you are making. For instance, don’t pig out on burgers and fries one day because you walked yesterday or because you had only healthy food earlier- I have done this before. I’m not saying to deprive yourself of treats now and then either.

Instead, start thinking about the good choices you have been making and that you want to keep that up because you’ll feel better in the end.
____________________________

This week’s stats----
Weight: 156 [friend’s scale; -2 from last weigh in]
Height: Still short
Activity: walking, swimming
Gym time: None
Size: yet tight 10
Food: junk, a little more healthy
Liquids: ~72 oz H2O throughout the week, up from previous; ~4 sodas, maintained from previous
____________________________

Please leave a comment/ question/ “HELLO!” in the comment area below. Let me know what healthy change you have decided to do this coming week!

Thank you for reading and get moving!