Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Snack Time Favorite: Calbee Snapea Crisps


Did Jennifer just misspell something?! No, someone else did.

I have been devouring Calbee’s Snack Salad Snapea Crisps!

At the local drugstore, I have been scoping out the “healthier” snacks for awhile. I love the Pirate’s Booty Aged White Cheddar. The Snapea Crisps were in the same aisle. I remember hearing from several sources that sugar snap peas make a great snack. I thought I would try these crisps even though they were not of a sweet flavor.

I ate a whole bag in one day. Actually, whenever I have any on hand, I have been eating about a bag per day. I cannot not finish off the bag, which probably defeats the purpose of eating healthier snacks. Although, I have been eating and craving less French fries!

The Crisps are enough to satisfy me when I’m craving something a little salty. Plus, I love eating crunchy things. They are somewhat similar to eating veggie straws. My mind thinks I’m eating a fried goodie when these are baked instead.

Another healthy advice that I remember is to eat things as close to how they are grown as possible, or to eat things made from ingredients that one is able to pronounce. The Crisps have 6 listed ingredients, all of which I am able to pronounce: green peas, corn oil, rice, salt, calcium carbonate, and ascorbic acid (vitamin C). 

The Snapea Crisps website says: “This product contains 17% vegetable protein and 8% fiber that come mostly from the skin of the peas. Snapea Crisps contain an abundance of vitamins, iron, and calcium. Snapea Crisps deliver the pea's natural nutrients in their entirety.” 
____________________________ 

 Well, once I bought my first couple bags of this stuff, I have kept in the back of my mind to buy more. 

The local store had the Caesar flavored version, but I don’t think I’d like that; maybe I should try it anyway. They were sold out of the regular that I like.


So I went to the next closest store… and I bought the last 3 bags.

After I had finished off the 3 bags, I went to the next next closest store… and they had none! I settled for pita chips that time, which turned out to be pretty tasty too.

I went to the closest grocery store. I looked up and down the snack aisles. I hunted in the salad fixings aisle. I searched the fresh produce section. No crisps.

When we went to the next closest grocery store, I found many bags in the salad fixings aisle- treasure! I had to restrain myself from buying every single bag.

I hope the local stores have restocked them by now. It just felt like people were watching me and bought  up all the crisps as soon as I decided that I liked them so much. Who do I think I am- Kim Kardashian? Am I a trend-setter, a snack icon?!

Don't they look yummy?
As to why the bag says “salad snack,” my guess is that the crisps are supposed to be a healthier alternative to croutons.

Anyways, if you’re looking for a healthier alternative to French fries, give the snap pea crisps a try.

Where to find them: either in the healthy snack aisle or in the salad fixings aisle. One could also order them from several online sites.

Mahalo for reading and happier snacking!