Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Face Confident


I wanted to share this video by Jen at Frmheadtotoe. I thought she was well-spoken, heart-felt, and beautiful. I share a lot of the same thoughts as her.


____________________________
My history with makeup:

I wore a nude lipstick in high school. Lipstick was always easy. I have sensitive skin and eyes so had trouble with perfumes in most makeup brands, and my mom wasn’t one to encourage or teach me what to do with makeup. I started to wear more makeup when I got into the Nicole Miller, now called Sei Bella, cosmetic line through Melaleuca in 2005. Sei Bella is great for sensitive types.

The only thing with Sei Bella is that it has a lot of good basic colors but not a huge range of colors. Now I like to experiment with a wide range of colors, so I am glad that more companies are using formulas without a lot of those harsh chemicals and perfumes, making things more wearable for people like me.

Anyways, like Jen, I see makeup from a more fun, artistic view. I like how it can help enhance a person’s naturally beautiful features and how it can give a sense of confidence by masking a few insecurities. 

The occasional acne breakout would easily leave behind dark spots that stand out on my fair skin. I can also get splotchy skin from being out in the sun, especially if my skin peels badly. Just being able to even out the skin tone with some foundation makes me feel better about facing the world, because then I think that people will notice my smile more than the zit on my chin.

I remember watching a show where the woman would always have makeup on right after she showered or washed her face, and slept in makeup, so that her husband had never seen her without makeup. It was probably an episode of Oprah. I’m not married, and once I wash my face for the day, I’m done with makeup.

Yet there are days in which I get that crazed feeling that I need to have makeup on and have it very well done in order to feel normal. When I get that feeling, I indulge it for a little and then I get irritated with myself. I have to redirect my thinking back to “I am okay as I am, I don’t need the makeup.”

One way that I temper my makeup-crazed thoughts are to think about guys. That’s intriguing, isn’t it? Here’s how that goes:

Why am I getting so crazy about this? Guys go out all the time without makeup on. Some are battling acne and don’t cover it up. Some have freckles and they don’t cover it up. Guys look great without makeup. What am I worrying about? I hardly know any of the people I will run into and those I know won’t care that I don’t have makeup on. I don’t care if they have makeup on or not. Guys don’t wear makeup. I should relax.

That’s literally how my mind works at times. I think about what I want and then I look for examples. What I want is to relax about wearing makeup, so I look at guys. It makes sense, right? No? I’m the only one who thinks like this?

In recent years, on my makeup-crazed days, I have been thinking also of a certain friend whom has a noticeable strawberry mark on her forehead. She’s talked about it and I won’t share what she said because that might be personal. Yet I think about her because she doesn’t cover up the mark and I think that is very admirable. She’s beautiful as she is and in a way, it’s almost enviable that she has a natural special mark that adds a little character.

I don’t know why I get so self-conscious at all. I have eczema… or psoriasis… I keep forgetting which it is. I grew up with patchy, scaly, discolored areas of skin in different places of my body. I don’t know exactly why but I wasn’t so self-conscious about people noticing the eczema. I still have inflammations every now and then and I am more self-conscious about it today than when I was younger. Possibly I wasn’t so insecure about it when I was younger because I had 2 friends whom had worse cases of eczema…?
____________________________

Well, for more about how I look at makeup artistically and what I do with that, check out my posts about Holla’s Eye Makeup Challenge and consider joining us, will you?

I’m still relatively new to makeup. It’s been less than 10 years that I’ve been wearing makeup somewhat often. I still have a lot to learn and enjoy the learning and the perfecting of my skills. I have a small mirror and one desk lamp, so sometimes one side of my face is darker than the other or the eyes are more uneven than they are naturally, and I’ll still go out like that (remember, guys don’t even wear makeup!).

Here are a few YouTube beauty people I recommend for makeup tutorials (in alphabetical order except for Jen’s channel is first):


Makeup has the ability to downplay what you aren’t so comfortable with physically and enhance the features that you love, and that’s about it. Makeup is a tool. Remain who you are with and without the makeup.

How are these for Face Confident looks? 























See these photos and MORE at Holla’s Eye Makeup Challenge! I think I'm going to keep adding to how many times a post I can mention the challenge until we get more people involved...

Mahalo for reading and get face confident!