Monday, April 30, 2012

Tip: Making Metal Rings Wearable




One can see the patina on the insides
of the rings.
I have 2 metal rings that I love but haven’t been able to wear.  One is brass and the other is copper, both of which will turn my finger green.  I wash my hands a lot, almost obsessive-compulsively, so metal rings like these have been difficult for me to wear; I often end up putting the ring in my pocket or purse and it stays there for the rest of the day.

It’s been a few months since I stumbled upon a tip for how I could wear my rings again and keep from turning green.  Unfortunately, I cannot remember where I came upon the tip.  I think it was from a fellow Pinterest member.  I read about the tip and couldn’t wait to test it out.

Here is the tip: coat the inside of the ring with clear nail polish.

That’s it!  Omigoodness, I cannot believe I didn’t think of it before because it’s a trick my dad would use on the face of his watches when they cracked, or my mom would use clear nail polish to stop a run in her stocking. 

And I suppose if you have a favorite color of polish, and it goes with your ring or your sense of style, you could coat the inside with a colored polish.  I don’t see why not.

Nail polish is fantastic!

The brass owl ring is from a shopping trip to Charlotte Russe.  Since doing a report on the Greek goddess Athena in the 5th (?) grade, and having watched “The Clash of the Titans” (1981 with Harry Hamlin version), I have liked owls.  Well, I thought this ring was very cute- the roundness of the owl, the sharp beak, the strong “eyebrows”- and the glasses were the kicker! 

The owl ring is also a size too big for me; it was the only size of it that they had at the time.  The nail polish tip has not only worked for the green finger thing, but also in making the big ring easier to wear because the inside is not as slippery as it was before.

The copper ring was a purchase somewhere along the college graduation trip we took in honor of my brother back in… 1997 (?).  I think I got it during the Colorado leg of the trip.  I associate the ring with the Indian cliff dwelling we visited, but not necessarily that I got it from that particular site.  It was long ago and I have an inefficient memory so don’t quote me on that part.

Anyways, I am so happy that I am able to wear these rings again!

Hope this tip was helpful for you as well.  Please leave a comment below if this has helped you or if you have a tip for me!  If you use this tip with a colored polish, please send me a picture?

Mahalo for reading!