Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Letter To Grounded [April 25, 2012]


I recommend subscribing to “Grounded with Ryan Dobson.”  You can find the show archives here.  

Below is a note that I sent to the show’s team.

Thank you for reading.
____________________________


 Dear Grounded Team,

Thank you for today's episode on "A Simpler Faith." Even though you were talking about men, I feel like the topics talked about related to my situation as well.

Almost a year and a half ago, I left the church that I loved.

In 2008, I prayed to God saying that I was going to try it his way, to purposely learn to trust him more.  I went back to my home church, I joined the choir again, I took an adult Sunday school class, I prayed more, I read the Bible through for the first time.  And I woke up on Sundays excited to go to church- this and getting through the Bible are how I know that something in me was truly better.

In 2009, I wanted to start a ministry for the college aged group, many of whom I had gotten to know over the previous year and had counted as friends.  Things went sour fast.  I struggled with what people were doing as well as with some of the things that I was doing.  I felt very alone. 

I stuck with it (church, Bible study group, hanging out with those whom were my friends) as long as I could.  Even though I was so hurt by the things that happened, I did my best to try to reconcile with the group.  I put aside what I strongly felt we were supposed to do.

I still felt alone.  I didn’t have support either from the established church leaders whom had blessed the original plans for the ministry.

So in 2011, I left.  And the people in that church have generally made it easy for me to stay away.

I have kept my faith in God, though even that is struggling because I am still generally alone in it.  I know that my pains are with other people and not with God.  I love God.  I love the church.  I love my local church but I don’t know that I can go back there and yet I still believe that God wants me at that church.

The Grounded programs, as well as other resources, have been a great comfort and encouragement to me and for that I thank you.

 “A Simpler Faith” is now on my list of books to get and read.

Thank you,
Jennifer


P.S. I have already read “The Flipside of Feminism” and “ The Devil in Pew Number Seven” by your recommendations and they were GOOD.