Saturday, April 21, 2012

Kindle Read: The Flipside of Feminism


Amazon.com


I heard about this book through the podcast, Grounded with Ryan Dobson.  I take a lot of recommendations from this show. 

The hosts, Ryan Dobson and Toben Heim, talked with one of the authors, Suzanne Venker.  The episode was released on June 21stof 2011. 

If you get to listening to this episode [click on the link in the previous paragraph], the first part is Ryan and Toben introducing the show and then having some small talk about personal things going on.  They talk about Rob Zombie, raising chickens and a few other things.  I find this stuff fascinating but feel free to skip to [13:29] where the interview with Venker begins.
____________________________

When I received the Kindle Fire as a gift with a gift card, I felt that “The Flipside of Feminism” ought to be one of the books that I download.  Now that I have finished the book earlier this week, I’m glad that I read it. 

The description as on Amazon.com: Forty years have passed since the so-called women's movement claimed to liberate women from preconceived notions of what it means to be female - and the results are in. The latest statistics show that as women have gained more freedom, more education, and more power, they have become less happy. In The Flipside of Feminism, Suzanne Venker and Phyllis Schlafly provide readers with a new view of women in America - casting off the ideology that preaches faux empowerment and liberation from men and marriage. Their book demonstrates that conservative women are, in fact, the most liberated women in America and the folks to whom young people should be turning for advice. Their confident and rational approach to the battle of the sexes is precisely what America needs.

Now, my review of this book could easily go for lengths.  I could go into my background and viewpoint in other posts.  I’ll just say here that I think one could say that I’m a traditionalist, conservative, I am a Christian, and that I have been confused about exactly what feminism is and whether I ought to be a feminist or not.  I’ve said things in the past about my willingness to submit to my future husband and gotten lectured about my views.  I definitely hope that I get around to writing a post on submission because I am a very strong-willed person and to say that I’d be willing to submit… it is all kinds of “huh?”

I’ll try to stay on topic of the book now.  It is 8 chapters, 3751 pages in Kindle format, including the intro and all of that.  It’s thoughtful yet readable- it doesn’t drag or wander around and cause one to feel burdened to finish it.  It contains good information that I believe is truthful.

After reading the book, I have to say that I am not a feminist.  “The Flipside of Feminism” has cleared that up for me.  It sounds good to be a feminist, cool even, maybe, but I am not a feminist.  There it is.  Before I wasn’t sure and now, I am not one and am unlikely to change my mind.

I recommend “The Flipside of Feminism” to pretty much everyone, men and women, conservative or liberal, Christian or other, Feminist or not or undecided.  Age-wise, I think people could start reading this alone from high school age and up.  It could change your mind, it might not- it’s still a good read.

I recommend listening to the interview with Suzanne Venker also.

Please let me know in the comment box below if this topic or the book interests you, if you’ve read this book, or about whatever you would like.  Leave a recommendation for a future read.  Or just to say “Hello,” leave a comment.

Thank you for reading and get your hands on a copy of “The Flipside of Feminism.”