Friday, March 16, 2012

The Naming Of My Potential Business



I suppose a business ought to have a name. 

I am serious about names.  Very serious.  I still regret that my fish when I was younger had very obvious names.  The goldfish was Goldie.  The silver goldfish was Silvie.  My first betta was blue and I called him “Blue.”  They deserved better.

I can hear you snoring.

Since then, I’ve gotten more creative and a little neurotic about naming my pets and things.  I get a lot of compliments regarding my cat’s name, Megamouth.  “Mega” for short.  You can read the meaning behind naming her here.  

So naming a potential business… *sigh.  I’ll be putting my business out there for people to be able to criticize what I do.  I don't know why criticism should be scary for me; I endured a few years of architecture studio crits at "First College."  Crits made people cry and sweat and quit.  Not me.

Do I put my own name in it somewhere?  Do I try to name it from something that inspires the designs? 

I put the question to my Facebook friends:


I liked the idea of using “grace” or “gracious,” yet how…?  I have a difficulty in being too specific with what I do because I have a wide range of interests, so “jewelry” might be too specific.  I had made drawstring bags a few years ago that my friends enjoyed, so it would sound strange to me to sell bags from a business with the word “jewelry” in the name.  “Gems” would be better.  I enjoy punny names but what I would be doing doesn't seem to fit with having such a name.

After asking the question and getting the feedback, I then wondered if I would be offending some people if I don’t use their suggestions.  I’ve said before: I think too much.

I was afraid to put my own idea out there, which is to name it after my grandmother who bought me my first expensive beads [which I explained in the previous business post, linked at the beginning]. 

Would I be doing something for which Grandma would be proud?  What if I fail?

After all that, I have decided.  Indecision drives me crazy when others do it and even more so when I do it myself.  So, … now I don’t know if I should put the name out there- what if someone reads this and then takes the name before my business is ready for becoming official? 

Right, as if a lot of people read this journal.  As if a lot of spiteful people would read this. 

Anyways, I have decided, I think, to call it…

Haruyo Moon

…after both of my grandmothers.  My other grandmother died when I was barely 2 years old and yet I sense that I was a lot like her, like I have inherited some of her spirit- I don't know that for sure. 

Now that the name has been decided, barring any circumstances preventing it, I am onto designing a logo for it.  I will write about that another time.

Any thoughts on this so far?

Thank you for reading and leaving a comment below is welcomed!