Thursday, December 29, 2011

Welcome To The Family, McBride!


I’ve said it many times before and I’ll say it many times more: “O Holy Night” is my favorite all-time song.  That is across the genres, never gets old to me.  I don’t know how it gets any better than a message of hope for “the weary world” coming in the birth of a child and one’s (appropriate) response to it (“Fall on your knees… Oh hear the angel voices…”). 

“Truly He taught us to love one anoooooother….” Okay, I’ll stop.  Back to writing about the song…  If only we remembered the lesson better on a more consistent basis…  I listen to it all year long to remind me to be more gracious.  Sometimes it does help remind me to be better.

The song has its origins as a poem (1847) in French, written by Placide Cappeau, and put to music by Adolphe Adam sometime after.  In 1855, it was put to English words by John Dwight.  You can read more here [http://www.faithclipart.com/guide/Christian-Holidays/holiday-songs/o-holy-night,-the-song-and-the-story.html].  At least, this is what I have read in common with other websites. 

The music works.  Get a great voice to make the words soar.  Acoustic, a capella, full-spread orchestra, Apocalyptica edging it a little with violins…

One great song. Never gets old.



Here are versions (artist/ album) I generally keep on my iPod… all year long:

Leigh Nash and Michael Tait, City on a Hill: It’s Christmas Time
Christina Aguilera, My Kind of Christmas
Amy Hanaiali‘i Gilliom, A Hawaiian Christmas
Placido Domingo, Christmas Favorites from the World’s Favorite Tenors
Nat “King” Cole, the Christmas Song



The first three I have on CDs (what are CDs?).  For Nash and Tait, I like how their voices work together.  It’s probably the version I would play in the background for a Christmas party.  Aguilera is the… flashy, all-out version that I have; her voice is just amazing.  In the middle, she breaks to speak the words of the Lord’s Prayer (Matthew 6: 9-13).

Gilliom’s version, one might guess, is in Hawaiian as “Po Hemolele.”  I love her voice.  It is accompanied by the ukulele and other instruments.

Placido’s version-  a friend alerted me to this one after learning that I love this song.  It starts in the original French “Cantique De Noel” and then in English. 

Cole was added last year among Christmas songs that were discounted on iTunes.  This is a very classy version.


This year… add to the list please….

MARTINA MCBRIDE!

From her album “White Christmas.”  And I’m glad.  *Grins*

I think you can still find all of these versions on iTunes.

Are there any version you think I might like? 

Thank you for reading.