Wednesday, October 5, 2011

And We’re Dancing

Hey, some people keep up with soap operas or reality TV shows, I like competitions. And I wish I could dance. At all. Just like I don’t know how to play Chopsticks on the piano, I can’t even do the Cabbage Patch or Running Man in dancing; it’s mostly because I haven’t really been taught or have tried all three of those. I probably could figure out the Macarena on my own but that song just annoys me.


It’s the 13th season of Dancing with the Stars. The season is already heading into it’s fourth week- the first contestants to be voted off were [in order] Metta World Peace [NBA player Ron Artest], Elisabetta Canalis and Kristin Cavallari. The remaining competitors are David Arquette, Chaz Bono, Nancy Grace, Rob Kardashian, Carson Kressley, Ricki Lake, J.R. Martinez, Chynna Phillips, and Hope Solo.

If you don’t know who some… or most… of these people are, that’s okay, me too.

I haven’t watched every single episode of every single season, but I’ve watched enough that I start watching with a critical eye… you know, where I start thinking that I could actually judge dances well. Don’t laugh at me, I know you do it too!

No, I actually don’t know that you do that also but I suspect you do with whatever you’re interested in.

Oh! They’re not allowed lifts in that dance! He needs to keep his shoulders down and keep his frame strong. Oh, she had good leg action in that one!

Anyways, was I writing about the show? Here it is. I’m not all that invested as a fan of any particular cast member this season but my pick is going to be Hope Solo. Why? Umm… for reasons in which you will only find “Jennifer logic.” I don’t necessarily go for top dogs or underdogs but I tend towards people who are totally out of their element and with an attitude of “I don’t know how but I’m going to do this,” an attitude of overcoming the circumstance.

Hope Solo is the starting goalkeeper for the United States women’s national soccer team; one can read more about her here http://www.ussoccer.com/Teams/WNT/S/Hope-Solo.aspx. Hope is out of her element in dancing in that she’s having to bring out more femininity and gracefulness and performance acting in this different kind of competition. There’s just not much about diving on a soccer ball or jumping up and blocking with your body that is graceful. Goalkeeping and dancing are different skills, movements, instincts, etc. There’s a difference between being a part of a team, like for soccer with several others, and being a partner, with one other person and having to be a bit balanced in it.

And there is something about all of that, of Hope being in a dance competition, to which I can relate.

And I wish I had a tenth of the ab muscle or shoulder strength that she has.

And I’d like to have her partner Maksim teach me how to dance. If he were to be my teacher, I’m sure I can get the steps right!



Other things of some note: I’m getting to like Carson Kressley- it’s not that I didn’t like him before and I don’t know him personally, but I just don’t know what to make of flamboyant personalities, male or female- and being that I have very little fashion sense, I don’t know why a guy having more fashion sense than I do should bother me! Aside from that, I thought he improved greatly between week 1 and week 2. The judges pointed out that Carson had put in the most rehearsal time and worked hard; I love that kind of go-for-it attitude. I hope he does well. I enjoyed his week 3 tango.

I can relate to Rob Kardashian being shy and putting himself out into the spotlight for once. I kind of think of my brother as the superstar and my parents could’ve stopped there- I’m the token female child- I KNOW it’s not the truth and that our parent love us both equally, really they do- that’s just how I feel. It seems Rob is starting to get into how dance can help bring him out and shine. I think he’ll do well- and I mostly watch DWTS for his professional partner Cheryl- she’s one of my faves of the female pros.

And there’s Ricki Lake. Her pro partner Derek is one of my faves male pro dancers. People think Ricki is the one to beat and I see why they think so. Besides her seemingly natural ability to perform and a charismatic personality, I like the fact that her outfit for the jive was… I’ll say it this way- usually big female competitors have a full-covered outfit, especially around the middle. Ricki looked confident in a pink frilly short-skirt thing with her torso part a nude-colored sparkly material, like it would be if she were a thinner dancer. I like it!

And there’s Nancy Grace’s pro partner Tristan. I just wanted to mention that he’s Irish, accent and all, and I enjoy hearing him speak.



Any Monday night that I am able to, I’ll be indulging the dancing child within me by watching Dancing with the Stars. Trust me, it’s safer this way; a friend once tried to twirl and dip me at a club- I became unbalanced and almost socked him in the jaw on the way. Very graceful….

Thank you for reading and get out those dancing shoes!