Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Leg Update [06.15.2011]

Ahh, okay. Got scolded by Apple for not having an update.

The previous entry had been written on Sunday but posted on Monday instead. It is now Wednesday as I type this, just to give you an idea of the timeline. It has been 3 days, not 2.

Yesterday, I moved around without a crutch at all. My leg wasn’t so shaky anymore.

Last night I was still concerned though. My foot looked strange to me, like flatter as well as fatter. It’s weird to look at one’s body part and wonder “Whose is that?!” I still couldn’t flex my ankle much or straighten my leg. My knee still has pain at times. My leg feels strange.

It was like my leg improved a little where I wasn’t sure if it had improved enough to NOT see the other doctor or if the pain hadn’t improved to where I should see the doctor. [I think I wrote that correctly…]

Today, it’s looking better. Monday, Dad had gotten Icy Hot for me; I’ve been using it pretty much on my whole leg and then wrapping it lightly with a towel. When I read up on nerve damage, it said that improving circulation in the area would help. I have more color in my foot. I still have pain. I’m still working on the range of motion. The muscle twitching persists.

The part I don’t know is how much of this is to be expected, how much of this will be permanent, etc.

And of course, now that I haven’t been able to walk much in the past weeks, I can’t wait to be back in the gym!


It’s also been interesting as I observe how my parents have been reacting. I think this has to be the worst injury I’ve ever had. I remember sprained ankles and skinned knees, even had a sprained thumb and finger or two, but no broken bones. I’ve never had a cast or surgery or anything like that. As much as I can, I try to hide from them the pain and discomfort of my leg.

So after just a few days from this injury, Mom was already grumbling when I asked her to bring me a cup of juice. That’s the way she responds when I’m physically hurt or have a cold. She’s much more compassionate when I’m otherwise having trouble so don’t get the wrong picture about Mom. If she wasn’t so tough on me at times, I wouldn’t get very far. The other night as I went back to my room, I heard her happily comment to Dad, “Must be getting better- no crutch!”

On the other side, Dad is… I’ll just say it, he’ll baby me. I’m aware that I’m his “little girl.” Mom doesn’t check in on me but Dad does and often. Dad will ask if I need anything and won’t complain about getting me juice… or Icy Hot… or granola. He’s the one to say that I should stay off my feet as much as possible still.

Mom will push me. Dad, not so much. But I am so glad that I get to have the balance of both.


I told my friend how I’m the only person I know who gets injured just by walking. Not hiking, not playing volleyball, not indoor climbing… just walking….

She said that it’s okay, just tell people it was ninjas! Hahaha!

Oh, and I shaved my legs last night- the first time since this started. It felt good.

So, thank you for reading. Thank you for your concerns. :)