Friday, May 20, 2011

Getting Back In

I have a little notepad in which I write whatever. Little jots about what is on sale where or what am I need to pick up or names I want to remember. I write down ideas that come into my mind, thoughts for projects to do or posts to write. I write all kinds of things in it.

I was running out of pages in the notepad so for a few weeks now, I have been looking for a replacement- a new notebook for new ideas and new sale price notes. It is not a very life-important thing. In actuality I could use a post-it pad or a napkin. I could get any old notepad. But I choose to be particular about my notepads. I have to like it. I have to want to write in it. I have to want to carry it around with me.

Wednesday I entertained two notepads. One was a square little thing with an okay cover design and was on sale. The other was a little bigger and had graph lines; it was also on sale but would be $2 more. I finally decided on the bigger one.

And I am happy with my choice. It is a Piccadilly notebook, hardcover, smells and feels like real leather, has an enclosure band, a place mark ribbon and a pocket. I can keep coupons in the pocket and the enclosure band will help keep them from falling out- which means I will have my coupons with me ready to be used!

I can be happy about a notebook- is that not great? I think I might go back to the store and pick up a couple more for later because there were not many left as it is. If I miss out on more, oh well.



Getting into the main topic of this post- I have renewed my gym membership and have already gone 3 times this week!

I had to kick my butt on Monday because of a rough morning. I was upset-crying over a situation and then became so frustrated with myself that I said, “That’s it! You need to change something.” Well, I didn’t change the situation I was upset with but rather I walked out of the house and into the gym by noon. That is the process in my mind and in the style of Apple- it makes sense to me and that’s what matters.

I have missed seeing the gym in a few months. I got on the elliptical. I always input 60 minutes to the program in case I can get myself through an hour but at the least I will do half an hour. I did half an hour that day. 2 miles, over 200 calories by the machine’s count, and I was done. I wasn’t sure if my toe would be okay but it was fine. The toe hurt a little but wasn’t aggravated at all.

Tuesday night, I went again. I did the same thing- 2 miles, 200 calories. I’m starting to feel my powerful thigh muscles wake up. At this point, I’m not sure if they’re happy or grouchy at being brought out of hibernation.



And last night, I went very late at night. The parking lot had spaces to choose from and inside were not many people- how I prefer it. Again I set the elliptical to 60 minutes. At the 30 minute mark, I was feeling okay still. I put in my mind images of the contestants on The Biggest Loser running miles on the treadmill, running at inclines, running bursts of top speeds, pushing, striving, driving. I upped the resistance while I ran.

I don’t have any exercise playlists ready to go. I just have my ipod and put it to shuffle. I walk for a song, then run for a song, depending on how my body’s feeling and responding. In this manner, I got through all 60 minutes. 4.25 miles for about 425 calories. Not bad.

I usually finish and walk out but last night I was feeling glad for doing the whole 60 minutes that I stopped off in the locker room. I washed my hands, splashed a little water on my face and neck. They’ve remodeled the lockers and it looks good, put in a couple screens as well.

They used to have some kind of fancy scale before- I can’t say anything more about it because I never used it. I was glad to see a regular scale in the locker room now, the kind that the nurse at the doctor’s office uses. I hopped on. 153 pounds, 3 pounds more than I thought I was but that’s one of the things I came to the gym to change. That is 28 pounds above my comfortable weight.

Still feeling good, I let my hair down. I walked back into the main room and towards the main doors. I saw a couple people by the class schedule board so I diverted that way to see the board too. I wanted to see what was on the morning schedule for today.

I started back for the main door but the attendant caught my attention and beckoned me to the desk. For a moment I thought, “Is something wrong with my membership...?” He took a paper from the page holder and handed it to me. He noticed that I had looked at the board so he gave me a printout of the class schedule.

How nice of him! I mean, it’s part of his job, sure, but he was not slacking off and I appreciate that. He had been talking to someone at the other end of the counter, I don’t know if they were another member or a friend or both, but the attendant took note of me in another area and helped me out with the printout. Cool.

So I walked out the main door, looking at the schedule. I had to pass by the half-court where some guys were shooting around. I heard something, I didn’t know if it was towards me or not but I turned to look. I saw a guy smiling at me with his hand up like in greeting. I just smiled back as I kept walking.

I got home without major incident but having the guy smile at me makes me think it would be smart if I could find a friend to go to the gym with me. In the least, I should add more to my skill and knowledge of self-defense techniques.

And it’s not that I’m suspicious of guys or strangers really. I do this thing where I walk around on my own with the mindset that I’m going to be okay; this is the thing that had me walking around Oakland by myself many times. No one can really bother or mess with me. No one is going to deter me from going where I need to go in order to do what I want to do. It’s just not going to happen.

It wasn’t the first time a guy has sought my attention and it probably won’t be the last so if I’m going to insist on going to the gym when I want to regardless of being with a friend or not, at whatever hour I want to, then it would be good to have some skills I could use just in case someone tries to force an incident with me.

These are the things that run around in my mind.



I didn’t go to a class this morning. I had a hard time falling asleep last night because of noises mostly.

I got out my brand new notebook and broke it in with my workout notes from this week so far! Yes, I’m bringing it back full-circle to the notebook!

At the store, there had been a couple notebooks that were ruled pages, not graph pages. I chose the graph pages because why not?

And now those graph lines are coming in handy because the workout numbers are now neatly lined up. I used to just scribble the numbers wherever there was space, in whatever order I could remember and such. In this new notebook, everything looks neat so far and easily read. It’s so good. I’ll still be using the notebook for any- and everything I need to take quick notes on but at least it looks like my notes will be clearer, maybe. We shall see.

I’m excited! At this moment I am thinking that with this new notebook to carry with me everywhere, I will be motivated to write down what I have eaten in a day. I can be a mindless eater, though lately I’ve been getting more into thinking about what I’m putting into my body- at least, more than I used to think about it. The oatmeal and finding out the approximation of calories in the spinach salad that I cook are part of this new mindful eating. Ugh- I got back into drinking sodas though- but I am also drinking more water. I will have to cut the sodas again.



So that’s it, just me heading back towards a healthier outlook. I get into these phases yet one of these days it’s going to be the lifestyle. *wink* I'm not so discouraged from falling out of something because each time that I get back in it, I'm determined to do it better than before!

Thank you for reading and drop a note if you have tips for me or something!