Monday, November 8, 2010

For the Mere-ness of It

I decided I would read “Mere Christianity” by C.S. Lewis again; it felt like a good time to refresh with some basics review. I think this would possibly be a good annual read.

During this read, so much stood out to me, thoughts of my own experiences, things I’d like to keep in mind, be reminded of, etc. So much kicked back in my mind, like they had been circling my thoughts and so it was good to read this book again. It was some reassurance that I’m not talking junk, not out of my own fantastical imaginations, I was talking truth.

I tabbed a few passages to note down, but Chapter 9 really spoke to me this time. Chapter 9 is about “Counting the Cost.” I wanted to highlight the entire chapter. It talks of perfection being God’s goal for us and that the Holy Spirit being our helper for nothing less than to become perfect. God wants us with him, but he is holy and so we are separated in this world. If we would allow him to, the Holy Spirit will help us come increasingly closer to perfect holiness in this world so that the work can be completed in our death and we can be with God in the new [for us], other, holy world.

Most of the book is readable for anyone and I would recommend reading it. Especially the last part, and I believe it was stated by Lewis himself, would be of greater help to currently believing Christians, or for those at least wishing to understand, because there are things that only a faithful person would easily understand and would probably not help someone looking to deepen their …dislike of the faith. One could still try to read that difficult to understand part anyway; it is only difficult to anyone, believer and non-believer because it tries to explain something of experience, so if one hasn't experienced that something, and it is a thing of faith, one will have difficulty understanding it.

Well, read “Mere Christianity.” Find out for yourself.

Mahalo for reading.


Here’s an endorsement on the back of my copy:

“C.S. Lewis is the ideal persuader for the half-confinced, for rhte good man who would like to be a Christian but finds his intellect getting in the way.” -- Anthony Burgess, “New York Times Book Review”

ISBN: 0-06-065292-6