Saturday, August 7, 2010

Putting the Stars Back In the Sky

I live across the street from a neighborhood park. Whenever I had friends over, I would take them to the park at night [if the conditions were good], lay out a blanket, and we’d lie down and look up at the stars. Sometimes we would talk and laugh softly or try to point out a constellation. Other times we might have softly sung a song. Most times, however, we were silent; it was just enough to be together in the awe.



I have slept under the stars before. There was no roof and no ceiling to block the view. The first time that I remember came out of a crazy night of concern and forgotten keys. Two friends and I slept on the beach at Waikiki, and I mean ON the beach. It’s a long story. The second time happened years later. I had an opportunity to visit the island of Kaho‘olawe. On the last night, we slept under the stars in our sleeping bags. Not only was there no construction in the way, there were no artificial lighting nearby. It was amazing! It was brilliant.

A starry sky has such a calming effect, doesn’t it? If only safety wasn’t such a concern these nights, I would sleep under the stars more often.



For many years, I had glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling and walls of my room. Even though they pale in comparison to the real stars, they were enough to quiet me at the end of a long day. I always thought it a shame that they stopped glowing before I fell asleep.

Well, last year or the year before, in a dark moment one night, I suddenly wanted no light in my room. I turned out all the lights. I turned off the light of the clock. I let the shades down in front of the windows to block out as much outside light as possible. But there was the glow of the stars.

I took down the stars as well and hid them out of sight.

I have missed them.

When the stars were still up, I had put up shelves on one wall. I didn’t bother to move the stars that were there; I just left them to hide behind the books on the shelves. After the stars came down, one could move a book or box from the shelf and find a remnant of Draco peek out. It’s a sad reminder of that frightful night their friends were put away. I think I’ve been afraid to put up the stars again.

[Parts of Draco and Hercules]

NOT ANYMORE! Something’s different. I don’t know what and I don’t know how ‘cause nothing seems different. Whatever it is, it is good. I don’t know how long it will last but I’ll take it.

[My sky so far]

So I am putting the stars back in my sky. I might even buy more stars! Well, I might need more; I’m doing my best to make constellations first and then there are a lot of extra small stars that will fill the spaces later but I think I’m running out of stars for the constellations. I know, I’m “too old” for glow-in-the-dark stars, I don’t care. They make me think about ever-present goodness.

[Pegasus and part of Andromeda]

Thank you for reading. The end.