Saturday, July 31, 2010

Learning Something Better

Recently Mom has decided to learn the phonetic alphabet. I’m not sure where this came from. The only thing I can think of is that we like watching shows like Criminal Minds or CSI: NY where they have occasion to use the alphabet.

So we’ll be driving somewhere and Mom will call out “Echo Victor Zulu.” “November Mike Papa.” “Papa Foxtrot Alpha.” She's practicing with license plates.

I kinda like that she’s doing this. It’s something I do every so often- learning something new or better.

I have pages printed out or copied of the phonetic alphabet, the Greek alphabet, and the Russian alphabet. I keep these pages in a notebook of things to review. I also have a periodic table, list and facts about the U.S. Presidents, trig functions, etc.

I have a notebook atlas. I had this idea to possibly help me relate geography better: when I come across mention of a place, I put a little post-it note about the mention and flag the place. Mostly I have been taking scenes from movies and flagging it on the map. A friend recently took a trip to Morocco and other places; I flagged those on the map also. It’s still in the experimental phase.

Lately, I’ve been feeling the need to know a little more about the U.S. Presidents. It’s a subject area that frequents Jeopardy! answers in which I don’t do very well. For now, I’m trying to remember the order of their services. I have from Eisenhower to Obama at the moment.

Are you constantly learning? What would you like to know more about?