Friday, June 25, 2010

Interview: Your Favorite Song

O Holy Night.

In high school, I was in the youth choir at church. We went Christmas caroling at the SC. Daida was in the back and sang the leading solo in “O Holy Night.” It was the most beautiful thing I’ve heard.

I paid attention to the words after that and I think it’s the most beautiful song of all time! I have at least three renditions of it on my player. I will sing it all year long. I cannot listen to the Dion version- it ruins it for me.

The original was in French. From what I can tell in finding literal English translations of the original French and in the hymn as traditionally sung in English, it tells of the birth of Jesus the Christ and the redemption of mankind that the birth brings.

I love stories/ songs/ acts of redemption! Don’t you?

So “O Holy Night” is my all-time favorite song. [Link to related entry]
____________________________

Other goods:

You Will Make It- Jem
A difficult song to listen to sometimes. To me, it’s about life; it’s about going through loss and depression, and then allowing oneself to live on.

Toccata and Fugue in D Minor- Bach [Baroque period]
I think it has to be the organ; I saw someone on YouTube play this on violin- doesn’t do it for me. What I like about T&F is that it moves; it has swells and foreground/background interplay and heavy/light sections. I don’t understand how anyone can listen to this and think that classical music [the genre, not period] is boring.

Clarinet Concerto in A major, K. 622- Mozart [Classical period]
If I mention T&F, I have to mention K.622. I played the clarinet. Not many concertos were written featuring the clarinet. It has three movements: Allegro, Adagio and Rondo. Adagio is the most recognized section. While T&F sounds furious at times, K.622 takes its swells at a much gentler pace.

Sweet Okole- Keola and Kapono Beamer
I’m not always serious about my song choices! This is a fun song, as is typical of “Hawaiian” songs, just laid back and talking story. This also has special meaning to me that I will leave for a possible future entry.

Tu Amor Me Hace Bien- Marc Anthony
I think it translates to “Your love makes me well.” Isn’t that a wonderful thought? The version I like is considered Andean I think, from the “Amar Sin Mentiras” album; there is also a salsa version.

I Enjoy Being a Girl- [Musical: Flower Drum Song]
I enjoy being a female. I don’t identify with most of the song but I think it’s lovely, as girls should be. Nancy Kwan’s performance of this song is delightful.

Under the Bridge- RHCP
“I don’t ever wanna feel like I did that day. Take me to the place I love, take me all the way.” Red Hot always has great bass in their music! I like the video also- I remember that he’s singing this while walking along the streets of L.A. [I think]. I think it’s another song about brokenness and going after something better, choosing to do better.

Strong Enough- Stacie Orrico
“Will my scars forever ruin all God’s plan?”
I like singing this song when I’m just… GRRRR!... inside. It calms me down and reminds me to focus on God because only He is in control.
____________________________
I think I would say that in general I like Rock & Roll and songs about brokenness. As you can see, I appreciate many genres, except for maybe scream-o music; I like being able to tell about what people are singing. There are SO many other songs I’d wanna mention.

What is your favorite song?