Saturday, May 1, 2010

What’s In a Name, Too?

Bear with me, I've prepared all these name entries to come up. I'm fascinated with many things, including all the things behind names.


Jen or Jenn?

I don’t think I ever liked the look of ‘Jen’ for some reason. Maybe it’s because my surname is so short already, I don’t know.

I have had many classes with other Jennifers in it. This one Jennifer drew ‘Jenn’ on her folder and I thought it looked good, the drawing itself and the look of the double-enn’d short form. I had never seen it with two [n]s before. I’ve been writing ‘Jenn’ ever since.

To me, ‘Jenn’ is more aesthetically pleasing than ‘Jen.’ ‘Jenn’ is exactly half of my first name. ‘Jen’ is 3/8 of my first name. I suppose 3/8 is not as ‘neat’ a fraction as ½? Maybe? And it may or may not have something to do with me being a Libran. I don’t know.

Even when people say ‘Jen,’ I think I can hear the difference. I’m like that.

Mahalo for reading.